Weeds everywhere -- help!

• 15 Replies

Geminem

Weeds everywhere -- help!
« on: June 06, 2013, 23:46 »
Pleeeeessaase help. We dug over and de weeded our new plot 3 Weeks ago. In the last week the ground has erupted with thousands of tiny things with two tiny leaves, looks like tons of seeds sprinkled everywhere has started growing. How has this happened? And how can we kill them while having vegatsble seeds planted underneath? Thank you

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Weeds everywhere -- help!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 07:12 »
There are thousands of weeds seeds in the soil of most new allotments so don't worry this is normal.

Couple of ways of approaching it - hoe them off, gather them up and add them to the compost, and cover any ground you are not about to sow. More seeds will germinate under the cardboard, black plastic or weed suppressant membrane you use, but they will be easily pulled out when you want to use that ground later.

For the areas you are going to sow into, make sure you sow in straight lines, well marked. Anything that comes up outside of your row will be a weed seedling and you can pull it out. Once your veg seeds have germinated, you will be able to see if there is anything 'different' in the row that can also be pulled out gently.

It takes time, but is worth it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:20 »
Weeds wait for no man or woman, it's a constant fight, even four years on I think my plot is clear and two days later I am convinced I need to get an eye test when the same weeds are back.  :mad:

I tend to do a lot of hand weeding, personal choice really but it's rather satisfying  :unsure:

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:01 »
There's a saying about one year of seed gives you seven years of weed, but don't worry, it's not quite the hopeless cause that sounds like. Most new plot holders experience this first hand as almost always the person who had their plot before them gave it up due to not being able to take care of it any more.

The new seedling weeds are easily killed with a sharp hoe. You've done the hard work in clearing the bigger weeds off. A hoe once or twice a week will get rid of the rest. After a few weeks you'll notice a serious drop off in the numbers germinating.

grendel

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:11 »
yesterday I went to the plot and got a whole bucket of weeds from the beds I weeded last week, so its a never ending battle unfortunately (mind you I did get the 5 or 6 buckets of weeds from each of those beds when I did the initial weed the other week, keep at the weeds and it does get easier.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:19 »
I only took my plot on last year. I'm hand weeding every bed on a weekly basis at the moment, though the weeds do seem to be slowing down the more I do it.

Most of them are annuals and I suspect the seed has been hanging around for years just waiting for some mug to make the conditions just right :D

Oddly enough I find hand weeding to be quite therapeutic and it's very satisfying to see a clean bed with just my veg in it when I finally look up.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:22 »
There was an interesting snippet in a Charles Dowding book where he says that weeds emerge to 'reclothe' the soil as a defense mechanism, so the less you disturb the soil the less weeds you'll have (in theory). That is one of his arguments for no dig growing.

Geminem

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:29 »
Thank you so much for all your advice, we shall be getting on top of them weeds this weekend and getting a hoe. :) thanks

Jon Gale

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 11:11 »
Thank you so much for all your advice, we shall be getting on top of them weeds this weekend and getting a hoe. :) thanks

Spend a couple of pounds on a sharpening stone as well - need to keep your how sharp to make the work easier.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 12:41 »
There was an interesting snippet in a Charles Dowding book where he says that weeds emerge to 'reclothe' the soil as a defense mechanism, so the less you disturb the soil the less weeds you'll have (in theory). That is one of his arguments for no dig growing.

That's certainly my experience though in my case I think it's because I sow most of my stuff in modules and plant them out with minimal soil disturbance so it doesn't generate an environment seeds like to germinate in.

Areas I rotavate and sow directly are a different matter. 

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:50 »
u need to focus on little and often andd it never goes away but just gets manageable over time

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 13:05 »
u need to focus on little and often andd it never goes away but just gets manageable over time

We work on a bucket a day lol. Some days i miss a day so then its two buckets thats over two plots

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 13:30 »
worst is if u miss a week or more then its a nightmare to get back on track

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 13:34 »
Every time you dig you bring thousand's of seed's to the surface. Once they are subjected to the sunlight they germinate, hence you keep weeding. One theory is to dig at night and then cover the disturbed ground with a mulch. Another theory is to never dig but keep adding a layer of mulch over the surface letting the worm's do the digging for you. I have tried neither so keep my hoe sharp.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 13:42 »
worst is if u miss a week or more then its a nightmare to get back on track

I wanted to cry last time we came back from a week in cornwall, we had de- weeded totally before going. Came back to jurassic park  :ohmy:

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
question
Weeds

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 20:23
by DD.
xx
Weeds

Started by Debbie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 14:22
by supersprout

Page created in 0.853 seconds with 29 queries.