Helping or too much?

• 8 Replies

Manteiga

Helping or too much?
« on: May 31, 2013, 23:34 »
Our allotment is a very small site (10 plots in total) It has recently opened (started the year before last) and as you can imagine is a bit of an overgrown wilderness. About half the plots are now developing into proper growing areas. Between us we have 4 people with brushcutters. About 5 weeks ago a young couple took one of the remaining allotments, staked it out, dug about 2 square metres and left, not to be seen again. The existing plot holders, including myself, have decided to set about strimming doen the remaining untaken plots to reduce weeds and make it a more attractive proposition for prospective plot holders.

So, should I strim their plot ( all 'paths' around it I have already done), and should I cover it in cardboard to kill off the weeds or should I just leave a square of 2 metre high brambles, weeds and grass?

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Helping or too much?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 23:44 »
Oof! Tricky one.  Is it a council run site? If it is can you speak to the allotments officer about this? Whether they are keeping their plot, something has kept them away or the initial enthusiasm has worn off? 

Manteiga

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 23:58 »
Its a parish allotment, the person in charge is extremely disinterested in the plots.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 00:15 »
Parish run? Not interested, eh? Local MP may be more interested in the development of an otherwise 'dead' area?  Is there a clause in your tenancy about keeping the land clear, tidy or such like?  I mean something that takes into consideration everyones responsibility to keep the 'entire' area clear with consideration to other plot holders?  I shouldn't think that one untidy plot will put off genuine people who want to grow ther own.  But I do understand that you obviously want to know what is going on especially on such a small site.  Our lottie is on a site of just over 100 'whole' plots which can be split down into halves and quarters.  So a few over grown plots are a drop in the ocean.  Not much help am I?  But I know what I would do, minus the cardboard, does that help? 

Ema

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 09:34 »
Having taken on a new plot this year I can only imagine that any new plot goer would be very grateful for a helping hand

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:18 »
Whilst they may indeed be very grateful for assistance, you don't have the right to go on and do work on their plot without their specific permission as they are still the tenants.

Either don't do the work on it, or someone give them a ring first and ask if they want it to be strimmed.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:22 »
When our plots were 'governed' by the Parish council we had endless waiting lists and very unkempt plots. Since becoming self managed we now have a lovely site, well maintained plots (90%of the time), and almost non existent waiting lists.
We write to plot holders if their plots are apparently unkempt initially to ask if they can manage, if there is no response and things get worse we go through a process of giving them a stated amount of time to improve, with regular re-inspections before terminating their contract.
There have been some who have been unable to do much due to unexpected ill health and they couldn't let anyone know. in those cases everyone clubs together to help try and keep the plot fair.

Strimming the other untaken plots would be good, but the one that appears abandoned, best speak to the Parish council first I would say.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:26 by Nikkithefoot »
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:32 »
Its a parish allotment, ...

As in Parish Council or Parish Church ?

Either way I would advise you to contact the tenant before going on to their plot.

grendel

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 13:48 »
we had something similar to this when we first tried an allotment 15 odd years ago, we were just getting started, cleared a bit, then planted some bushes (gooseberry, redcurrants,) etc at one end, we were just getting everything together to go up there and hit it hard to get rid of the weeds when the council came along and flailed all of the untenanted plots, ours included, all our bushes - gone. after that we just gave up we were so disheartened. its taken 12 years to get back to the point where we were willing to put the effort in again, now 3 years in and its still hard work, but at least now we know we can manage it.
Someone must have a contact number for them, please try and contact them before you proceed to see if they need some help. (if I had been offered such help I would have jumped at it).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Helping hand

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 11:39
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Cats 'helping'

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 01:17
by Paul Plots
xx
Helping pollinators

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2019, 09:50
by Mr Dog
xx
my baby helping out....

Started by exploring mama on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 23:43
by exploring mama

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 27 queries.