Attracting Frogs to my plot?

• 16 Replies

DissLocated

Attracting Frogs to my plot?
« on: May 18, 2013, 18:01 »
I was delighted to discover a frog lurking in my strawberry patch the other day and I'd like to attract a few more. Our site is surrounded by ditches on 2 sides so I suspect he came from there via a couple of overgrown grassy paths to my plot.  The trouble is I know the long term plan on site is to put bark down on the paths to prevent the grass growing.

My question is, will the bark deter the frogs? I'd hoped that if I left a few areas on my plot overgrown with long grass and supplied some housing materials a few frogs would just move in. If they can't get along the bark path from the ditch will I need to make a (small) pond so that they can actually live on my plot?

Any advice gratefully received.

ally

• Experienced Member
Re: Attracting Frogs to my plot?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 18:12 »
While weeding in between my raspberries (which have bark as a mulch) I found two frogs! Also one hiding in my GH! I wondered why I hadn't had any serious slug / snail attacks :D
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 18:14 »
I found a frog in my chimnea which had lots of dry bits in it, lucky for him I checked it before lighting!

DissLocated

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 18:22 »
Ooh, hopefully they'll approve of the bark paths then.

You didn't fancy bbq frogs legs Mum2mj?!

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 18:43 »
Haha, it didn't cross my mind! and I've never tried them  :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 19:58 by Mum2mj »

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 19:35 »
dare i suggest build a pond? even a large plastic tub full of water will entice them in.

salmonking

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 20:06 »
dare i suggest build a pond? even a large plastic tub full of water will entice them in.

I don't know about that,ive built a small "pond" by my apple tree and found 5/6 frogs and put them in,its got lots of little nooks and crannies for them to hide in,but they have all gone! :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 20:23 »
We have a bucket pond which keeps going cloudy but the frogs prefer the rhubarb bed and we usually find a few dozen when digging out the spuds, gave me heart failiure last time  :lol:

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 20:27 »
My comments - based on years of successfully growing frogs in my garden pond.  :)   

Your average frog only returns to the pond to breed, and possibly to hibernate at the bottom of a deep pond.  Maybe at least two feet deep - but I have never proved this.   The rest of the time they live in long damp grass or undergrowth and under damp rocks.  They prefer cool and damp, with plenty of cover from evil cats. 

Whenever  I have "rescued" a frog on dry land and put it back into the pond, it hops straight out again and heads back into the damp undergrowth.   

I also reckon they hop for miles, and don't stick that close to their home pond, until Spring when they head home.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 20:27 »
Frogs don't live in the water all the time,they just need to go back to where they were hatched to breed & for the tadpoles to survive,a pond will encourage them but is not necessary,you might also get newts. Bark paths won't deter them. Good to leave some natural areas,no chemicals,nooks & crannies to shelter from the sun etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 21:15 »
you might also get newts.

I want newts too, but they wont appear. I know of a manky, rubble filled, pond less than 1/4 mile away that is so full of hundreds of newts every year that they have to stand on each other - three deep. 

Being a protected species I am not going to import newts to my pond. I have to find a way to entice them.  ;)

DissLocated

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 07:36 »
That's all good to know. I had read the thing about them not actually living in water so was hoping that hiding places would suffice, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks!

fatcat1955

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 07:47 »
Pop over to Sangat in France, there's plenty trying to get over here.

Ema

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 11:12 »
I would've thought tht like bark too as it acts as a damp mulch. there's a few ponds on my site and I'd love to pt a small one on my plot with a few logs and hiding places but it will have to wait until winter

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 11:45 »
While weeding in between my raspberries (which have bark as a mulch) I found two frogs! Also one hiding in my GH! I wondered why I hadn't had any serious slug / snail attacks :D

I put a medium sized frog in the greenhouse every year for pest control , it has a shallow shaded water dish to lurk in during the day when the sun is bright.

The door is open at night and the frog could leave if it wished but they always stay till the end of Tom season clear out ! :)

xx
Companion and wildlife attracting planting

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 07:37
by matron
xx
Newly sowed carrots attracting many slugs and snails

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 13:55
by Goosegirl
xx
frogs

Started by lisa on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 06, 2006, 19:45
by cede
xx
Frogs

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 23:10
by Flump

Page created in 1.014 seconds with 37 queries.