potatoe size

• 43 Replies

Willow_Warren

Re: potatoe size
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 15:16 »
Well there was a light frost for us on Tueaday morning and it's set to get down to 1°C tonight which is certainly frost terratory! 

I fully earthed up the Maris Pipers & Desiree and covered the Lady Crystals with a poly tunnel cover.  The Charlottes are quite large to fully cover with earth & I don't have another tunnel so I'm worried about them - not going to get home until after dark tonight so I might just be crossing my fingers & hoping for the best!   :ohmy:

Hannah :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 15:19 »
Met Office (the source of the data most websites use) isn't showing Somerset less than 5 ° at 4 am tomorrow:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_temp.html

Although you'll have to click forward yourself as it didn't retain that timeslot when I posted the link.

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 15:21 »
Met Office (the source of the data most websites use) isn't showing Somerset less than 5 ° at 4 am tomorrow:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_temp.html

Although you'll have to click forward yourself as it didn't retain that timeslot when I posted the link.

I entered in Yeovil which is where we are. I maybe reading it wrong, such a lot of numbers lol

Beetroot queen

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 15:23 »
That says no frost, ummm to risk it or not risk it  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 15:25 »
Metcheck is saying 2C for here tonight, but the Met Office is forecasting 6C  :dry:

I know from experience that Metcheck is always a bit pessimistic, but I'll still cover my earlies to be on the safe side  ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 15:26 »
to be on the safe side  ;)

That's the best way. :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 15:27 »
Well according to metcheck it's only getting down to 5°C in my area (although is that a town or countryside temp?), my phone has updated to just 3°C so perhaps it'll all be ok?  Oh... the stress of growing!!

H :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 15:30 »
Anything under 4-5C is in ground frost territory on still nights, especially in frost-prone areas (usually low-lying and sheltered.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Willow_Warren

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 15:35 »
Widespread rural groundfrost in rural areas!!!

Still not a lot I can do about my potatoes though - I've some fleece but covering them in the dark (and potentially stamping on them) might do more damage than the covering will pretect!

At least it's only potatoes I have out - all tender plants are still tucked up inside!

Hannah

tribs

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 15:48 »
It's first time with potatoes for me. So if they are only just popping through will the frost kill 'em dead or just knock 'em back? It's a bit wet to be earthing up here at the moment, but metcheck is showing -2C tonight  :blink:

simonwatson

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 16:55 »
It will just knock them back. Repeated frosts will exhaust the tuber but a one off will just kill the top growth and it'll put out new growth from the last live point below the ground.

salmonking

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 20:14 »
ive earthed mine up twice and have no more soil!! they will have to chance it. couple the weather with every cat in the street digging my beds up im seriously thinking that this is going to be my last year growing my own!! >:(

richie3846

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 21:01 »
Widespread groundfrost forecast - I've covered my spuds over already. I believe you should always cover when the forecast is for a minimum of 5 or below. Groundfrost can occur when the air temp is 4 or below, plus if the temperature is slightly colder that forecast by one or two degrees it can damage your whole crop. I'd be gutted if that happened  :mad:

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 21:05 »
Mine will be safe, they only went in today. Very late I know but due to wet weekends only just getting on top of the plot now.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 21:21 »
Hubby earthed up ours but not dads as he had no room left to earth up. We shall see how they go.

xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
which potatoe??

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 08:05
by diospyros
xx
potatoe day

Started by nobby on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 21:33
by splodger
xx
Potatoe

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2013, 00:37
by Jamrock

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 38 queries.