Do you keep a produce list every year

• 27 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Do you keep a produce list every year
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 21:22 »
We're only in our second year of having our plot.  We got it last April so sort of muddled through - with good results despite the weather.  I really like the idea of keeping notes on what we've grown, how well it did, varieties, what we did to get them to grow! etc.  Hmmmm I may have to treat myself to a lovely notebook/journal.... :D

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 21:26 »
I've been keeping an allotment journal since 2005 which is quite a shock since i did'nt realise that I had had the allotment that long!!  time flies when you are enjoying something.  I think its a great idea but would advise that you write it up straight away because you will never remember all the varieties etc. I also record what I've done on certain days and when veg has been sown - it becomes more useful as years go by.

Yes I walk in the door and weigh my fruit immediately. I have always had "issues" as my husband calls them. It's
So easy to forget how much we do take from these little patches of land, we looked back and said really did we have that many raspberries etc

I like to weigh my soft fruits, just to see what sort of yields I'm getting. And I'll weigh a giant pumpkin or squash (been a few years since I had a giant squash!  :D).
I don't think about the money and savings - I figure I'm saving no matter what as I don't have to buy the fruit! :D

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 21:46 »
I already have enough paper floating about  the house without making more notes that I usually forget to fill out, so no, I don't do produce lists. I can remember roughly what sort of yields I got in previous yields, what and where I planted things (for rotation) and that keeps me happy  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 21:55 »
I weigh most of the tomatoes but that's about it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 23:59 »
I welcomed a newbie a few days ago and said that the first years back ache and tribulations are well worth it as your crops come in. Last year I kept a diary of costs and produce harvested at supermarket prices at the time, and saved £650. £12+ per week is not to be sniffed at.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 09:00 »
Yes, I am going to do it, if only to justify buying so many packets of seeds. I've started to record how much I am saving by not buying flowers (I'm picking them from the garden) and I'm already over £35 since I started picking in April. I will say, my garden tulips are way more beautiful than anything found in supermarkets (hate those places!). I have a book that I am keeping as my allotment and garden diary so it will all go in there. Happy days  :) 
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

grendel

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 09:12 »
nope, mind you I dont record anything, I like random, so this year I have many rows of mixed peas and beans, I just threw the bought and saved beans and peas into a pot, stirred it round then dropped them into the holes I made to plant them, add some hoops and sticks and see what comes up.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51 »
Oh no!  :blink:
I don't mind mixing beans with different coloured flowers, and sometimes do the same with peas and sweet peas ( as long as I'm not seed saving) - but it would all be just tooooo random to mix them all together  ::) :nowink:

:lol:  :lol:

Ema

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 11:51 »
I was thinking about keeping a weight log of all crops and then at the end of the year working out cost. I'm certainly growing a lot of things I can't afford to buy fresh like peas and beans!

grendel

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 12:25 »
Oh no!  :blink:
I don't mind mixing beans with different coloured flowers, and sometimes do the same with peas and sweet peas ( as long as I'm not seed saving) - but it would all be just tooooo random to mix them all together  ::) :nowink:

:lol:  :lol:
I guess its more zen gardening :-)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 14:31 »
I welcomed a newbie a few days ago and said that the first years back ache and tribulations are well worth it as your crops come in. Last year I kept a diary of costs and produce harvested at supermarket prices at the time, and saved £650. £12+ per week is not to be sniffed at.

It's amazing to see how it all adds up.  :D

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 17:14 »
I don't, I'm hopeless at recording things. I can remember what does well, am not worried about crop rotation as I basically work my way around the plot from one end to the other, then the other way round the next year. Email receipts for seeds show what I have purchased if I can't remember. Everything gets sowed / planted when I have time, normally late at the moment due to life's pressures.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 02:47 »
I think the biggest money saver is fruit. Stuff like gooseberries and rhubarb or the tree fruit like apples, plums, pears are the easiest thing in the world to grow and they charge a fortune for them in the shops.

xx
need help with my veg list for next year

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 09:03
by drmoonshine
xx
seed/fruit list for this year..

Started by G*R*O*W*M*A*N on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2007, 00:50
by king cauli
xx
first produce

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2006, 10:51
by lentil987
xx
My 1st Produce

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:48
by Plottered

Page created in 0.876 seconds with 38 queries.