Peach curly leaf

• 6 Replies

Bing

• Experienced Member
Peach curly leaf
« on: April 23, 2013, 21:55 »
Looks every tiny leaf was infected, will Epsom salt solution brushing work now?

or it is time to pull it up burn it?

Had this last year and this year looks even worse!
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Trillium

Re: Peach curly leaf
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:03 »
The virus comes in on the rain; the more rain, the more affected the tree is so a new tree won't help.

I get it every year here and wait for all the affected leaves to fall off (which they will) and I gather and bin them all. Do not compost any of them.

Once you see the disease appear, gave the tree a very good feeding of rotted manure or fish fertilizer (which peach trees particularly love) and water it in well. The disease weakens the tree so now it needs a really good feeding.  New, blemish free leaves will soon appear as if nothing happened.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 22:26 »
thanks for the advice.

I also searched internet and some saying brush and spread EPSOM salt solution help deter the disease.

has any one had success? please

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:44 »
No. If you've ever seen the size of my 3 trees, you'd know that's a not-happening job.  Epsom salt treatment, if it works, would have to be an early preventative treatment since the problem occurs primarily in early spring soon after leafing and almost never returns that year.

I've done this system for 11 years now on my trees and they still produce well for me provided I follow the procedure I outlined. Commercial orchards will simply spray everything in sight with chemicals, something I don't care to eat.

DaveJNeal

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32 »
if you're tree is heavily hit, I'd recommend de-fruiting it for this year so it can put it's energies into surviving the fungas rather than producing fruits.

just 2 pence, ymmv :-)

cheers

Dave

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 21:19 »
My tree was from seed two years ago, this is third year with several pink flowers couple of weeks ago, now all the little leaves are infected, just like last year, the flowers are gone as I can see today, so should I wait till all of them drop, or can I nip them off? Thanks

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 01:22 »
I'd take the flowers off this year as the tree is still quite small and flowering and fruiting can really drain a young tree's energy. As I mentioned before, give the tree a very good feeding and it will recover. Mine always do because there's really no way to prevent peach leaf curl short of growing it in a greenhouse full time. Even then, that's not a guarantee.

clip
peach and plum tree curly leaves

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2016, 16:17
by Featherstone
clip
Curly leaf garlic

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2024, 19:21
by Snow
xx
Curly cucumber leaf......

Started by wendywoo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 17:51
by wendywoo
xx
Peach Leaf Curl

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 20:54
by Rocinante

Page created in 0.814 seconds with 28 queries.