choice of chickens

• 3 Replies

rosegarden

choice of chickens
« on: April 22, 2013, 19:28 »
First of all hi to everyone I am new to the allotment/chicken forum.  I am very interested in keeping chickens in my garden- I have chosen the house been on an introduction to chickens course and have had loads of advice from a neighbour who has chickens (7)  my question is how many do you have to start and do you have hybrid or pure breed?  The house is for up to six chickens and I had been thinking that 3 chickens would be okay but now I have been told that 3 is'nt a good number!! any advice would be appreciated

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: choice of chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 20:42 »
3 is a perfectly good number, 1 or 2 aren't. This way in a couple of years you can add 3 more to keep your egg laying total up. Black rocks are a good egg laying hybrid and can live for quite a few years. Mine died at the ripe old age of 8.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 22:15 »
I have Black Rocks and can recommend them for a first timer which I was when I got mine.   ;)  I also like bantam breeds (I have Wyandotte, Welsummer and some hybrid bantams) which are less messy but not necessarily quieter.   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:56 »
ive got mixed flock 3 rhode islanad reds,2 black rocks, 1 bluebell,iblack copper maran and a light sussex,they all have different personalities and quirks but would say the blackrocks are great starter birds.

xx
choice of antibiotic

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 13:59
by carolbriar
xx
Advice on choice of pol

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 18:21
by Helenaj
xx
What Breed - spoiled for choice

Started by gsc on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 11:58
by gsc
xx
Choice of Incubator....Your Opinion

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 21:37
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 37 queries.