Frisky pekin duck drake !!

• 11 Replies

dchubbuk

Frisky pekin duck drake !!
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:52 »
i have two year old male and female pekin ducks(or cherry valley ducks as they can be known as) i also have 6 bantums 2 white stars two white star&bantum  hybrids and 4 black rocks one of my bantums is a cockerel but is a bit of a coward he runs away from trouble between the girls ! now over the last couple of weeks my drake has been "besotted" with one of my blackrocks and has tried to mate with her even though all the other hens try to stop him he mates with my female pekin i don't know whether or not to get a couple more female pekins for him to get him to leave my poor hen alone (all have different houses the ducks sleep in their own house as do the black rocks and the others are split between three other houses so i have 5 houses all together )  or if this is just because it's spring and thats why he's doing this i 've been keeping chickens for seven years now but ducks for a year so i'm starting from scratch they have their padding pool put up this week due to the break in the weather ! 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:58 by ANHBUC »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Frisky pekin duck drake !!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:56 »
Hi dchubbuk,
I changed your thread title slighty due to children being allowed on the site.  ;)

It is common for this to happen.  If you can put some temporary fencing between them for now until you decide what you want to do.  More female ducks would be the best course of action.  Having said that if you are new to keeping ducks you may need to do more research on their needs.  There are other members on here that keep ducks and will advise you further.

I have been wanting muscovy ducks for over a year but keeping them happily alongside my hens is something I am unsure of.  I would be able to pen them off but that would reduce the area the hens can freerange in.  It is all about getting the balance right, so I am still researching and pondering.  I am trying to resist impulse buying but if I saw some muscovies locally I don't think I could resist!   :wub:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:00 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:35 »
Unfortunately this is the problem with keeping ducks and chickens together. Some people geta way with it and some don't. I can only recommend separating them. However, with only one female duck she is going to get a lot of attention :blink: :blush: :wacko:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31 »
I would agree with Sassy - you are going to have to separate them or the poor blackrock will get no peace. Frisky ducks are very persistent.

I have been lucky because although  I do have mixed hens and ducks the drake have never tried to mate with the hens - in fact yesterday I saw the smallest banty hen chase one of the ducks away from what it obviously thought was a choice area of grass.  :)

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 15:47 »
My muskovie drake tries it on with our dog!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:....she doesn't like it!!!!  :wacko: :wacko:

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 15:57 »
My muskovie drake tries it on with our dog!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:....she doesn't like it!!!!  :wacko: :wacko:

I think that qualifies for the 'Shame Your Pet' WEBSITE   :lol:

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 18:11 »

I won't say what he tries to do with me  :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 18:49 »
I know one of Caras drakes likes Cara very very much  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 18:51 »

I won't say what he tries to do with me  :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Thanks for the laugh.   :D

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 21:17 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Thanks for the laugh.   :D

It ain't funny when you're on the receiving end!!!! They do like to bite their 'prey'!!!  :lol:

dchubbuk

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 21:13 »
Thanks for all your replies and the good laugh i had reading them ! i've watched my drake and he's worse when we let him and his mate out in the morning so i've separated them until later in the day then put them in with the rest of my hens but i'm looking for a couple of female Peking (or cherry valley ducks as they are some times known by ) but please let me know if there is anything else i could do  :D   

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 21:18 »
You might be best to get mature girls otherwise it might cause problems.   ;)

xx
Duck to Drake ratio???

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 16:32
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Pekin duck hatched! Not even 5 minutes ago! [Pics added!!]

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 03:38
by Snaphappii
xx
Do birds get frisky before you can tell sex??

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 09:55
by frenchliving
xx
my Pekin X Dutch and blue pekin

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 18:22
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 29 queries.