Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please

• 5 Replies

steve Lord

Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please
« on: April 03, 2013, 19:13 »
Hi fellow gardeners.

I recently took delivery of 20 asparagus crowns but because it has been so cold I have not been planted them out.  I soaked the roots a couple of days ago and returned them to their delivery bags. I looked at them again today and they have all started sprouting. Some of the spears are 6 inches long! 

Should I remove these spears and plant the crowns as normal or are these crowns doomed?  If they have gone past their best then there is no point in planting them out just for them to fail? 

I live in Cornwall and it has been warmer today (no frost) so hope to plant out soon. All advice will be most welcome and thank you for your time.

kind regards
Steve

Nobbie

Re: Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 19:26 »
It's due to warm up at the weekend and start raining, so plant them then. Leave the shoots in place, either they'll grow, or they'll die and new shoots will come. If you can, try not to keep them too warm and give them plenty of light so the shoots don't get to drawn.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 21:15 »
Nothing to worry about as you can't harvest anything this year anyway. The plant knows it's time to grow and nothing will stop it so just try not to snap off the growing tips.  The first year growth is sort of fern-like as the plant develops its roots and feeds itself. Year 3 is when you can start harvesting a bit. To ensure long life, make sure the crowns sit on a mound of sand for drainage. Rotting is the primary cause of death for asparagus.

steve Lord

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 21:23 »
Thank you for your advice I will finish preparing the bed and get them planted up :D
cheers
Steve

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 22:35 »
Welcome to the allotment world.
What part of Cornwall are you ?  I am at St Just in Penwith and my allotment diary is called First & Last.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

steve Lord

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51 »
Hi Tom
I am in St Agnes and my new allotment is in Mithian. I lived in St Buryan 23 or so years ago and and have happy memories of some great nights out in St Just. It is good to see the days getting warmer although I still have a thin layer of ice on my garden pond this morning so it must be cold at night.
steve

xx
Expert parsnip advice needed

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 15:25
by Goosegirl
xx
more chilli growing expert advice needed!

Started by Norfolkbird on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:28
by Norfolkbird
xx
Resident parsnip expert advice needed!

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 14:57
by rhysdad
xx
Asparagus advice needed please

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 18:53
by JayG

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 30 queries.