Expert parsnip advice needed

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

Expert parsnip advice needed
« on: January 06, 2010, 16:25 »
My parsnips germinated well from an unopened last year's packet of Countess I sowed in April but I ended up with huge ones that were all brown and nasty on the tops and were also rather woody. Am I on the right thinking path for this year to sow later, so I can get matured plants after some frost for Crimbo as I think last year's were ready far too early. My OH had to buy some - oh the shame!!! :( :( :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

titch

Re: Expert parsnip advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 16:36 »
was the whole snip woody? or jus the core - if they were huge then the core can be woody - mine were brown on top too, just cut all that bit off and cored them - mine were also huge

not an expert tho, only second year of growing them
just keep breathing................

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 16:38 »
I sow in April, whilst they grow quite big the flesh is not woody. It certainly wouldn't do any harm to sow a bit later.

What a lot of folk don't realise is that parsnips are susceptible to carrot root fly. With parsnips the damage done to the root can let in canker which is far more evident than the fly itself. This is no doubt what you have on the tops of yours.

I grow mine alongside my carrots, protected by enviromesh.

And yes - core the big ones.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 17:07 »
Ignore advice about thinning to 6 inches apart. If you want smaller parsnips thin to about 3 inches.

A good tip when sowing parsnips is to put few radishes along the row, very thinly. These will come up quickly and show you where the row is so that you can run a hoe down either side. The radishes are a bonus crop, usually excellent.

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:45 »
I grew F1 Gladiator parsnips that have some resistance to canker which were sown on the 21st April. They were sown quite thinly and were not thinned at all. I started pulling young parsnips in early august which were delicious roasted. I still have some larger ones remaining although I can‘t get to them as they are frozen in the ground. Late in the season they got attacked by carrot root fly which then allowed canker to develop. They were still OK to use with the canker removed. I will try growing under enviromesh this year to keep the carrot fly away. Does anyone know if this severe frost will kill of carrot fly larvae / pupae if they are exposed to it?

intraclast

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08 »
I too have grown Gladiator, for three years now sown in April.  I have always follow the instructions and thinned to 6" and have ended up with some enormous parsnips! The aren't too woody, but the eating is improved cutting the core out.  We suffered carrot root fly the first year, but since have a 3 foot high enviromesh barrier all the way around the carrot/parsnip raised bed, which seems to have done the trick.

I've got quite a few still in the ground, currently inaccessible, hope they are ok!? No idea if this cold will hit the fly or not, but I've got my fingers crossed that it will give all the nasty bugs a check.
Trying to be organic with no dead animals in the mix!

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:20 »
Most of the carrot fly lavae will have pupated well under the soil ready to emerge in the Spring. Any that have overwintered as lavae will probably be deep enough a avoid being frozen.

So the answer is not unless they are near the surface. You can of course make this happen by putting a fork into the soil where you have had carrots and lifting the frozen crust to expose them to the frost.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 18:21 »
I stick with plain old Hollow Crown or Harris, and I simply direct sow in early May. By fall I have lovely sweet parsnips that aren't woody at all despite being quite large. Needless to say, I do manure my parsnip patch lightly and only a few fork.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 15:25 »
Will try that Trillium. I covered all my raised beds in autumn with sheep manure but only plan to dig my bean and potato beds over. The others I plan to sow either my brassicas or root crops by pushing aside the manure and either sowing or transplanting. Will look at DT Brown seeds as postage is free and I don't need many seeds this year.

xx
Resident parsnip expert advice needed!

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 14:57
by rhysdad
xx
more chilli growing expert advice needed!

Started by Norfolkbird on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:28
by Norfolkbird
xx
Asparagus problems - expert advice needed please

Started by steve Lord on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 09:51
by steve Lord
xx
Apple expert needed.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 23, 2018, 14:42
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.