what to sow indoors

• 4 Replies

stephent

what to sow indoors
« on: March 26, 2013, 21:34 »
The weather is so cold that I want to sow some bits indoors.

What would you suggest to sow into seed trays?

Steve

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: what to sow indoors
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 21:53 »
It's a bit of a sweeping question.

Depends on what facilities have you got for growing on afterwards, cold frame, unheated greenhouse, heated greenhouse, polytunnel etc..
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 22:27 »
I've only got a frost free greenhouse (but, only in much better weather than the moment as i only have a paraffin heater that keeps it a degree or so above the ambient temperature - at the weekend it was -5, so that's just a waste of money to use the heater)  and cold frames so, for me, some cabbages and cauliflowers and early leeks are ok now if you've got somewhere cool to put them once they've germinated before putting them out.  If you've nowhere to move them to, I don't think I'd bother as you'll just end up ditching leggy seedlings and later sowings will catch up.

Get some parsley started.  Apart from that, the only thing other thing I've sown the other day is BB  Aquadulce.  Next week, I'll be thinking about the main summer brassicas and slow growing red cabbage - and tomatoes (which won't be moving from the house til the weather allows).  But, maybe I won't!

My timings of these aren't too widely out from previous years to be honest, though the first outdoor sowings of carrots and parsnips etc look like they'll be delayed by a good two weeks .... and I think the tatties will be chitting into late April as the soil is cold when it's not frozen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 22:35 by shoozie »

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:12 »
A few weeks ago I started sprouts, cabbage, onions, leeks, and early outdoor tomatoes. Germinated them in the lounge - then when they had found their feet started putting them out during the day in the conservatory and now they stay out there. Lowest temp so far in the conservatory was 0.5C. They all still look quite happy. With luck this means that I will have several weeks head start when finally I can plant them outside on the plot. :)

Regards, WG

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:27 »
The last two replies underscore what I was saying in my previous post. They've told us that they have other facilities for growing on plants after germination indoors. (I assume you mean the house).

Without knowing what you've got, all we can do is generalise, but I suspect that you'd like some specifics.

xx
Getting veg started indoors

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 14:52
by Steve.P
xx
Sweetcorn indoors or out?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 14:44
by Kristen
xx
What can I start off growing indoors now?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 17:54
by garddwr
xx
Herbs and growing them indoors.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 02:34
by sclarke624

Page created in 1.152 seconds with 30 queries.