Globe artichokes - how hardy?

• 15 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
« on: December 09, 2007, 22:13 »
I've read mixed reports about this. I have 3, they grew fantastically well (but I've yet to find a way to get them to taste edible - another story/thread).

I cut them down today as they were looking pretty rough, but noticed they have sprouted from the base, plants are about 12" tall.

Do I need to protect them? Or will they be next years new plants?
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

WG.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 22:14 »
I know folks growing them up here unprotected

gobs

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 22:26 »
I'm sorry I don't know climate of your location, but I've been growing them unprotected for years in East Midlands.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mkhenry

Re: Globe artichokes - how hardy?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 17:39 »
Quote from: "fletch"
I've read mixed reports about this. I have 3, they grew fantastically well (but I've yet to find a way to get them to taste edible - another story/thread).

I cut them down today as they were looking pretty rough, but noticed they have sprouted from the base, plants are about 12" tall.

Do I need to protect them? Or will they be next years new plants?

Globe Artichokes are not very hardy and do require frost protection.

Just gather up some straw or leaves,remove this once the last frosts have gone. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 19:22 »
Can you transplant them and if you can when's the best time?
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

gobs

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 20:35 »
I have the following problems:

1 - old text book advice contradicts up-to-date on-ground experience, I've been growing them without cover for years, but other guys around me have been doing that for donkeys' years and see WG's post hardly anybody gets tougher winter in UK, then him and his area. Some of mine are in fact flowering as of right now, after several frosts of several weeks. They are in the green all winter.

2- I seem to be missing the very funny bit :?:  :?

3- Really seriously would advise against covering with 'straw or leaves' as young plants and off-sets are really prone to slug damage, I've lost a few to them even they were not covered in the stuff.

WG.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 20:38 »
Remember that old text books will have been written when winters were very much harder than they are now, gobs.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 20:42 »
Quote from: "Grasshopper"
Can you transplant them and if you can when's the best time?

You have to transplant the off-sets, that's what you grow them from. and they are a short lived perennial, so you do this every 3-4 years. Some maintain they get good results from leaving them alone, I'm personally not as yet convinced and would advice to plant up new off-sets every so many years. You do that in March-April time, depending on weather, when it's not too cold anymore, but soil is still damp.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 20:43 »
Quote from: "WG."
Remember that old text books will have been written when winters were very much harder than they are now, gobs.

Thanks, I think it's not me though who needs to be reminded of that, I've just drawn attention to that myself, I believe.

mkhenry

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 22:40 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I have the following problems:

1 - old text book advice contradicts up-to-date on-ground experience, I've been growing them without cover for years, but other guys around me have been doing that for donkeys' years and see WG's post hardly anybody gets tougher winter in UK, then him and his area. Some of mine are in fact flowering as of right now, after several frosts of several weeks. They are in the green all winter.

2- I seem to be missing the very funny bit :?:  :?

3- Really seriously would advise against covering with 'straw or leaves' as young plants and off-sets are really prone to slug damage, I've lost a few to them even they were not covered in the stuff.

Just checked and Dr Hessayon in the Vegetable Expert some one who knows what he is talking about according to this forum states almost the same advice and that GA are not frost hardy,and that you should cover them with leaves etc until April.
This is hardly An Old Text Book. :lol:
Plus I can quote other well known gardeners who also give this advice.Non of which are Old Text Books back when winters were harder. :wink:

So check out Dr Hessayon and make up your own mind.Don't forget though that frost can check growth,and if you got a good crop without the frost it may have been even better. :lol:  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 22:50 »
Thanks, Henry, but as I posted before, I've been growing them for a few years and people around me have been growing them for a loooooong time.

We disagree with them books. On bases of our experience.

mkhenry

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 23:02 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Thanks, Henry, but as I posted before, I've been growing them for a few years and people around me have been growing them for a loooooong time.

We disagree with them books. On bases of our experience.

Thats what posting is all about Gobs if we all ageed all the time it would be so boring.
Plus anyone reading this should be given the whole choice based on many opinions.
I to have been growing GA for many many years in different locations etc,and have always had great success,but I have also treated them as frost risk plants.
This as assured a bumber grop in most years. :lol:  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:23 »
Very true, Henry, choice is important, I would go for the fleece or similar if wanted to give them protection, for mentioned reason.

Also, a multitude of books will advise to cut plants back in a way of autumn tidy, which I think can contribute to the problem and make it necessary to protect plants.

The young growth here is a foot high I understand, I consider it big enough, I would not cut it down, as this is going to be future plant, and can't imagine how it could be covered with leaves let's say at that hight.

WG.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:58 »
Quote from: "WG."
I know folks growing them up here unprotected
I need to come clean here since I only know two people growing them and one is down near Nairn which gets pretty mild winters by comparison to me.  I've only seen them during winter when neither had them protected so I haven't seen them during summer to pass comment on how well they are cropping.  So in that regard, your comments are very valid Henry.

So, gobs, your situation is more relevant to the discussion than mine - I take it that Chesterfield is no stranger to some frosty air coming down from the Peak District?  How many winters have you been there for & how cold does it normally get?

gobs

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 12:41 »
Yes, we do get frosts, I've been only here for 5 years, last 3 nights were down to minus 3, mid-day yesterday, the perpetual spinach was still shrivelled up with frost, thick ice in the water buts, but no sign of damage on the GAs.

I do not keep weather records, but a guy on the lottie has been for several years, so I should be able to get you very accurate temperatures going back for ages.

xx
Globe artichokes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 20:40
by tode
xx
globe artichokes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 13:58
by noshed
xx
globe artichokes

Started by scotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 22:48
by Maxine Groobey
xx
Globe artichokes

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 01:51
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.824 seconds with 28 queries.