Egg eating

• 4 Replies

Topcat

Egg eating
« on: March 22, 2013, 20:35 »
I have two broody hens one's a bantam and a silkie, Five eggs have gone missing two from the silkie and three from the bantam. I found half a shell in the bantam's nest, is she just eating the eggs that are no good or is this going to be a bad habit. I have been putting food in her box, because i have never seen her leave it there is water in the coop.
This is the thirteenth day see started with 10 eggs was this too many? Many thanks

Sparkyrog

Re: Egg eating
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 21:10 »
If bantam eggs 10 would certainly not be to many "old wives tale is always set an uneven number" it is possible but unlikely that she trod on them ,are rats a possibility ?
I cook therefore I grow

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 21:39 »
She might be finding it hard to keep so many eggs warm in this cold weather.  She is likely to have eaten any she thought were not viable rather than attract predators.  It is good nutrition for her as well.

Do also check as sparkyrog says that you don't have a vermin problem.

Try and take the food and water out of the coop.  You will know if she has been out to eat and drink as she will poo at the same time.  Broody poo is large and stinky so you can't miss it.  If you leave her in the coop with food and water she is more likely to soil her nest and contaminate her eggs.

The other problem if you have 2 broodies together is that they try to steal each others eggs when off the nest.  This can cause breakages so you are better if they are housed separately.  A rabbit hutch makes a great broody hutch and run.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Topcat

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 22:19 »
Thank you for your reply, No they are not bantam eggs. Don't think its rats as the only thing I catch in the trap is hedgehogs  :(. The nest box is clean so she must leave to poo. I have tried to move her on a couple of test eggs when she first went broody, (at night) but keep going back to same nest box.

I do have a rabbit hutch but it has a hen and one chick (four weeks old) and worried if I move her she will leave the eggs.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 22:37 »
Don't put her in with a hen and chicks as they would fight.

I have moved broodies and eggs to a rabbit hutch twice before and they were fine both times.  Their instinct to sit is very strong.  It might help if you could put some sort of a partition between the 2 broodies so they can't see each others nest.  Good luck.   ;) 

xx
Egg eating

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 14:06
by Fannyann
xx
egg eating!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 10:49
by Chookster
xx
Not eating

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 20:23
by Bennett
xx
Help!! Egg Eating, what do I do??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 17:08
by chickenlicken

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 30 queries.