Sick hen

• 22 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Sick hen
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 12:38 »
"still like to know who says its against the law though"

DEFRA 

It isn't about you catching something from the hens but more about the hens coming into contact with meat products due to cross contamination.  You need to read more on the subject and remember things like BSE.  It might seem a little over the top but it is the law.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50 »
all very interesting, but I think I am happy with the way my hens are being bought up, they are happy, so am I
i was my hands before and after feeding them, I wash my hands before I prepare my food, so far it has worked for me

they get treated a lot better than some birds I have seen, they have fresh water, food topped up each day, cleaned out at least 3 times a week (and disinfected) they get greens leftovers (but not at the moment)

never lost a hen to any diseases, all my losses have been down to foxes, so I have to be doing something right

i dont sell any eggs or birds, so i dont think I need to be DEFRA registered

i have any problems with my birds, i come in here, if no one here can help, I go to the vet (who has seen my set up and he has said its better than most, but he has seen better, but not many and with the size of my garden and their run, its well laid out and I am happy with that and I guess the hens are as well
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:52 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:54 »
You can register with DEFRA voluntarily but you don't have to if you have less than 50 birds I believe.

The law however applies to everyone and it is up to the individual if they abide by them or not.   :)

pepsi100

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:58 »
The law however applies to everyone and it is up to the individual if they abide by them or not.   :)

pretty much with any law really, you only say sorry when you get caught, but you arent really sorry, just sorry for being caight ;)

And all this because a hen had the trots  ;)mmmm

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 13:12 »
There wasn't some vindaloo with the rice was there?!!!   :ohmy: ::) :lol:

Is the hen any better?

pepsi100

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 13:21 »
nope the missus dont like ruby murrays, but its only been a couple of days, but I havent heard she got any worse

just thought I would let you know I am in India, things are a lot different here, but some things arent, in the hostel I am staying at, there are several hens, a little brown jungle hen had adopted me, she  is always after scraps at meal times, she isnt disappointed when i have my dinner, she gets a bit of leftover rice and whatever, but this morning she hopped onto my lap while I was eating my toast, sat there, rosey away, next minute I felt something warm, I thought she had pooped on mt, she hadnt, she had given me an egg, I guess it was a thank you for the scraps she has been having off me the past 4 days, a rather nice thank you I thought, if rather a surprise :)

I wonder what the regs are for adopting a hen and bringing her home :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 13:24 »
 :lol: :lol:

Glad you are enjoying your travels.  She must have thought you needed to be having egg on toast for your breakfast.

pepsi100

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 13:30 »
 :) I did that morning, and she ate the crusts off my toast,

I have a bar accross my window, she perches there for the night now (but she dont poop in the room, she swivvles round for that), she eats any mozzies that try and get in the room, not bad for a hen about the size of a pigeon

xx
sick hen

Started by dreghorns on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:37
by dreghorns
xx
sick hen

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 08:21
by craig1981
xx
Help! Sick hen!!

Started by belladonna on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help... I have a sick hen

Started by betty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 05:05
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 28 queries.