Cluckbuddy coops?

• 17 Replies

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
Cluckbuddy coops?
« on: March 21, 2013, 20:42 »
Hello.
I'm new here  :blush:

Last year, we moved to a house with a fairly decent sized garden, and hubby promised me we could get some chickens  :D
I have a nice area that I would like to donate to the chooks when I get them.

When we moved in, it was a dried up pond. I then turned it into a vege plot but its a bit rubbish as that because it has a 2.4m x 2m concrete base (we think it was a greenhouse before).
Rather than try and dig the concrete out, I have persuaded hubby to put a run over the concrete and get a  plastic coop to go where the compost bin currently is. The derelict garden next to it will then be turned into a vege plot.

During research, we narrowed it down to a Cluckbuddy or an Eglu because of where it will be going.
Both hubby and I think Eglus are pig ugly, so think we want the Cluckbuddy.

Does anyone have any experience of cluckbuddy coops??

Oooh - forgot to add a link!!  :nowink:
http://www.cluckbuddy.com/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 20:44 by binxyboo »

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Re: Cluckbuddy coops?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 21:30 »
I haven't come across Cluckbuddy but would comment that they look nice and simple to put together - unlike an Eglu! That seems a huge bonus to me!  I have got an Eglu Go and agree they are pig ugly. It took me ages to put together and is really annoying as if you want to attach or disconnect an Eglu run to it you have to virtually dismantle the thing. The screws are quite difficult to get to in places and it is quite easy to thread the top of the screws as they are very soft. I've given up with the attached run as a result and it was pretty small, even with the extension piece.
The feeders/water holder that came with it are huge - too large for my chicks (silkie bantams) so I had to buy smaller ones. Also they all like to sleep in the nesting area which isn't separated from the rest of the coop so it can be a bit like a dirty protest in the morning. It is fortunately easy to clean, particularly with a pressure jet and I haven't had problems with red mite. But I haven't been hugely impressed by the Go - I don't know if any of the other Eglus present the same problems.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:06 »
Have you seen the Pet Podz? They remind me of the Eglu but they are cheaper to buy.
http://www.petzpodz.com/

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:15 »
Have you seen the Pet Podz? They remind me of the Eglu but they are cheaper to buy.
http://www.petzpodz.com/

Still just as ugly as an Eglu unfortunately!
The sheer ugliness and vile colours were the main reasons we don't want an Eglu!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:30 by binxyboo »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:29 »
I started off with wooden coop and now have both eglu classic and cube.  They are not pretty but do the job.  I do find the hens like to sleep in the nest area even in the cube though.   ::) 

The only thing I would point out with the cluckbuddy coop is that if it doesn't have any insulation you may have a problem with condensation both in the summer and winter.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:35 »
yes - it's not very specific about insulation on the website.

All it says is this:
Insulation
We searched far and wide for the perfect material that's both cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Being 100% recycled its also good for the environment.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:39 »
they look like they are made from the same recycled plastic that my solway arks are and I find them fine in both summer and winter. I see with these you then have to buy a door as it doesn't come with one.
Personally I prefer the eglus to these (but most of all I prefer my Solway Arks but they would be too large for your area - they do make smaller versions though)  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:41 »
yes - it's not very specific about insulation on the website.

All it says is this:
Insulation
We searched far and wide for the perfect material that's both cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Being 100% recycled its also good for the environment.

Does that mean they found something that was perfect and used it or that they couldn't find something suitable?  It does sound a bit vague. 

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:52 »
they look like they are made from the same recycled plastic that my solway arks are and I find them fine in both summer and winter. I see with these you then have to buy a door as it doesn't come with one.
Personally I prefer the eglus to these (but most of all I prefer my Solway Arks but they would be too large for your area - they do make smaller versions though)  :)

from what I can gather - automatic door openers are optional.
This pic looks like it comes with a pully door

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 13:48 »
The up / down pop hole is good, the first hen house I had a door which slid sideways which meant it wasn't possible to have an automatic door opener which are very useful.

How many hens are you thinking of having? Their website says that this is suitable for 3 hens which looks about right but if e.g. you get 3 hybrids who will lay well for 2-3 years and will then go into retirement and you want to get more point of lay girls then you may need another house at that stage.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you won't regret having hens. There are ups & downs as with keeping any animal but they are great characters to have around  :)
Helen

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 13:56 »
The run we are thinking of building will be 2.4m x 2m so suitable for about 2-3 hens.
We don't really want to have more than that at any time (I know, I say that now, but we really don't want to be taken over by a flock!)

A good layer will be nice, but my main criteria is a docile breed that is good with children (I have a toddler and plans for more children)

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 14:03 »
That run size seems a little small unless they are going to have time freeranging.  If they get bored in a small run they are likely to fight and feather peck.  If they are to stay in a run they are better with 3 squared metres per bird of clear floor space. 

You could always get bantams hens which would need less space and lay lovely eggs with a bigger yolk to white ratio than large fowl.   :) 

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 14:48 »
I work part time (only out of the house 2 and half days a week)
The rest of the time they can free range in the garden.

ETA - you have now got me researching Bantams!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 15:26 by binxyboo »

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 16:44 »
I started off with large fowl and still have 5 but have fell in love with bantams.  Easier to handle, less poo, smaller eggs but yolks to white ratio is bigger, better for a smaller garden.  I currently have 4 bantams and 5 bantam chicks.  They can go broody but that might depend on the breed rather than their size.  I would recommend them for a first time poultry keeper.   :D

binxyboo

• Gardening Novice
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 16:50 »
So how many bantams would be comfortable in run that size compared to how many bigger birds?
(my maths is appalling, so people saying per bird per sq ft always gets me confused!!  :wacko:)

xx
Anyone used these coops?

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 22:27
by ANHBUC
xx
Refurbed Coops!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
show me your coops!!

Started by boosmummy on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 17:36
by boosmummy
xx
Plastic coops

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 20:47
by evie2

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 30 queries.