Anyone used these coops?

• 12 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Anyone used these coops?
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:54 »
www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Green_Frog_Chicken_Houses.html

Been researching for new coop and have come across these Green frog plastic chicken houses.  Has anyone used any of them?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Anyone used these coops?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17 »
there has been a couple of people on here - 1 loves them but the other wasn't too keen. I would try to get to see one in person before buying  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:33 »
Thanks joyfull, came across them when looking for a large drinker.  Bought a field drinker but was unimpressed as you couldn't shut the flow off fully when filling so it flooded the hen enclosure.  Supplier said that was normal and it was best to carry it to water supply to fill.  As it held 30 litres I could not see that was practical so sent it back.  Am probably going to order this one instead
"Easyclean 18 ltr drinker"
www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Plastic_Poultry_Drinkers.html

Any advice on better alternatives would be appreciated.   :)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05 »
I had a similar one but couldn't get my hand in to clean it out properly so again would want to see one in person.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:09 »
Think this one might be alright as it comes apart for cleaning.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 20:39 »
I've had a GF chicken lodge for 5 months now and though I've had some issues I'm pleased with it overall. PM me if you want a more in-depth discussion as I don't think they will be for everyone.

Ben

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 20:45 »
please post the reasons on here so others who may be pondering about getting one can find out the pros and cons of them. I personally love my eglus and my solway arks  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 18:23 »
I've had a GF chicken lodge for 5 months now and though I've had some issues I'm pleased with it overall. PM me if you want a more in-depth discussion as I don't think they will be for everyone.

Ben

Thanks for that Ben I will bear that in mind.  I am looking into several options at the moment including getting one made as I have a few ideas.  As joyfull says it would be helpful to others to put the main pros and cons on here.   :)

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 17:30 »
I love the look of the coop and the basic layout and overall am still very happy with it but I'm currently finding it a bit more labour intensive than I perhaps imagined. Partly this is down to my inexperience but also probably because I have more chickens than I originally planned on getting but also with two young children time is at a premium for me.

I've re-read what I've put below and hope that it doesn't sound too negative as I am happy with the coop. As you will see if you visit the GF website the Editor of Practical Poultry Magazine is currently conducting a 12 month comparison with a leading wooden coop. I do not buy this magazine so have no idea how the project is going.

I have had some discussions with the manufacturer over build quality, All the panels are cut from recycled plastic sheets and when mine arrived it had a lot of swarf on some of the cut edges which the instructions told me to file off. For such an expensive piece of kit I wasn't expecting to have to start with remedial works. I discussed this via email with Green Frog and was told that sometimes as the saw blades used to cut the plastic age the cuts become a little more ragged.

The next issue that I contacted them about was that one of the leg supports was bowing. They said they'd had a few problems with this and posted me a bracing piece of plastic which I had to drill and attach with zip ties. This has rectified the problem.

The roosting bars are made of composite and both of mine have cracks at either end that have become a haven for red mite. Apparently these cracks vary per bar and are the result of the manufacturing process. The suggestion was to fill them with some sort of araldite or similar compound. In my case I haven't done this yet as I have packed the end with DE. If I used an epoxy I would need to redrill the pin holes that allow the bars to be attached to the coop as the cracks seem to go quite a way up the middle of the bars.

One side of the nest box does not fit flush against the main body of the coop. I haven't discussed this with GF as I've only really just noticed it. I think the cause is that the roost bar is slightly too short so that when you put it through the body of the coop and insert the fixing pin at either end (outside the coop walls) it is squeezing the coop too much causing a concave shape to the wall adjacent to the nest box. This then leaves a gap of approx 5mm down one side of the nest box. I'm going to feed this back to them.

This is my first venture into chicken keeping and I chose this coop for a number of reasons: Long life span (20 years claimed without needing to repaint etc), extremely easy to clean - take apart and hose down or wipe out. Back comes off easily for removing waste etc and this is all true. When I discovered the red mite it was a relatively simple job to take it apart and hose it down to get rid of them and they have been under control since (roosting bar issue taken into account).

Where I have an issue with the design is that compared to some other coops I have seen which have something like this that Hillfooter recommends: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=70436.0 or a removable board that slides out for cleaning etc in the GF the poo drops straight onto whatever covering you have on the floor so the chickens walk around and through it all the time unless I poo pick the interior daily. I now have 9 chooks in the coop so if I don't do it every day it builds up quite quickly and the chooks can get pooey feet which worries me. I have been experimenting with different floor coverings to see if can reduce this problem and what is working best for me so far is overlapping sheets of newspaper covered in chopped straw. What does work really well with this design (or would if I had a bit more room at the back of the coop) is that when you remove the back panel you can pull it all straight out into a wheel barrow and if the newspaper is thick enough nothing seeps through onto the floor beneath. Even if it does then it wipes clean in seconds.

A final comment is that the upper side of the roof has a stippled effect. The birds love to sit on this and poo everywhere. Solids are fine for removing but anything remotely liquid becomes very difficult to clean off once dried.

Feel free to post specific questions and I will try to answer them

Ben

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 19:23 »
Thanks for the detailed information Ben.  I think that you have been very patient with the problems you have encountered.  As you have said the coop is not cheap so I don't think that I would be as understanding as you have been.  This is why I am considering designing my own coop to have made.  Still trying to finalise the design before I show it to the guy who will have the job of making it.  If he says it is viable and cost effective I will have it built.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 19:31 »
Ben, thanks for that information. I'm not sure about the size of your coop but I have 2 large solway arks and under their perches (2 in each ark) I have put a couple of plastic grow bag trays filled with hempcore although if you wish to pooh pick daily then sheets of newspaper would be fine.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 20:49 »
I knew I would miss something important. I think it's hempcore type stuff that sits on top of the newspaper. This does absorb some of the moisture from the poo but it still piles up and sits on the top of the "bedding". The trays idea is quite neat and would be considerably quicker if I could find some to fit. The only downside would be that they have a tedancy to poo at the door during the morning rush to freedom.

Anyway, it's a work in progress and I'm sure I will refine the technique as I go.

ANHBUC - good luck and happy designing

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 22:27 »
Thanks Ben  :)

xx
Refurbed Coops!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
show me your coops!!

Started by boosmummy on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 17:36
by boosmummy
xx
Plastic coops

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 20:47
by evie2
xx
Cluckbuddy coops?

Started by binxyboo on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 21:41
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 37 queries.