spuds in tyres

• 7 Replies

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
spuds in tyres
« on: March 11, 2013, 14:06 »
im thinkin of growing my spuds in tyres ,the bed im puttin em on was manured around oct and covered ive uncovered and dug over mixing everything in im thinking doin row of four tyres planting a tuber 6inches in the ground inside the tyre then usin the tyre to earth up first we compost then straw mb 2 tyres high,opin i can get three rows of tyres in the bed i got prepped in between rows i was thinkin leave a space and grow something in the ground anyone any ideas wat be best in there dont want leave space empty if poss .

richy

• Experienced Member
Re: spuds in tyres
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 14:30 »
You can do it if you want but when you dont want the tyres anymore you have to get rid of them, personaly i would just stick to the ground.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 14:43 »
Why would you want to put tyres on a prepped bed? I can understand growing spuds in them if you don't have beds.

Someone on our site has got this to clear as the previous tenant has given up. We've got really good loamy soil and there's really no need for it.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 14:47 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 16:29 »
problem is the bed im using is little lower than rest of plot as this is my first real season growin, its takin me nearly 18mths to get a very ruff unused plot to the condition i got it in now and im a little worried if i put mounds in the bed were ive takin the earthinin up material in between rows is going to waterlog very quicklyso came up with this idea for the spuds then next winter  ill be able raise the soil level up again with manure and compost,but last two replies seemed shot this idea down lol

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 16:36 »
At our site, they charge plotholders £20 to bring tyres onto the site for planting, in case people don't remove them when they leave the plots.  They can cost a fortune to dispose of in some areas (our local tip charges if you are disposing of more than two at any one time).

As has been said, I don't think they are necessary if you have plenty of soil to grow them in.  You can simply pull the soil up into heaps if you want to earth up.  

If anything, the act of planting, growing and harvesting potatoes will help your soil no end on a newly acquired plot.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 16:38 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 17:15 »
There have also been concerns over the chemicals from the tyres leaching into the potatoes,so if you do use them you might want to line them well with plastic. :)

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 17:37 »
There have also been concerns over the chemicals from the tyres leaching into the potatoes,so if you do use them you might want to line them well with plastic. :)
didnt know that many thanks ,

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 22:59 »
I grew mine at my last garden in tyres and they did really well. Saved a lot of digging, just remove a tyre at a time as you harvest, it also means you get every spud!
I've also got pots made from recycled tyres and I know you can buy Mulch made from tyres for childrens playgrounds.
Hope that helps

xx
Spuds in tyres.

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 11:20
by noweedstony
xx
Spuds in car tyres.

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 12:13
by muntjac
xx
Spuds in tyres?

Started by piskieinboots on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 10:03
by Clodagh & Dick
xx
Spuds in old tyres?

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 07:41
by thestens

Page created in 0.748 seconds with 28 queries.