Best approach to tackle weedy pile?

• 10 Replies

Beetie

Best approach to tackle weedy pile?
« on: March 07, 2013, 13:34 »
Hi everyone.  On my plot I have 2 ENORMOUS piles of compost that the previous owner left.  Unfortunately they are riddled with weeds roots etc. I was wondering what the best way to tackle this is. Dig through and remove what roots I can? Cover with weed suppressant material and leave for a long time? Or a combination of both?

Thanks

Beetie

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Best approach to tackle weedy pile?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 13:42 »
Sort the roots out and use it, you could put it through a large mesh riddle  ;)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 13:48 »
I had exactly the same problem, five years worth of compost heap looking more like a grassy hill :D  I put a sheet of heavy duty mesh over a wheelbarrow and sieved it a barrow at a time and spread it on the beds. Though this was slap bang in the middle of the plot and in the way. Once I'd got it roughy down to ground level it made a great bed for last years beans.

I got aheck of a lot of couch grass roots out of it.

savbo

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 14:21 »
An idea I have had for a while (but not yet done) is to scrounge a broken shopping trolley from a supermarket (the smaller type), remove the lower section leaving just the basket, and rig it up on wooden skids so I can wheel the barrow underneath, shake the basket backwards and forwards on the skids and riddle lots of compost straight into the barrow.

Idea has stalled as I haven't come up with a clever way of emptying the sticks etc out of the basket without picking up a very heavy metal basket... :(

sav

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 21:02 »
Id be a bit dubious about using the compost ive done it myself and it was weed city!
Id be tempted to bag it and take it to the tip,or bury it deep in bean trenches or something.
Ive had good veg waste compost heaps with nettle roots running through them and ive just dug it out and discarded them and its been ok,but i knew there was no weeds in among it.

yaxley

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 21:16 »
If the compost heap was hot enough and it was sieved after i would have no worrys using the soil ...
Grow organic as nature intended

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 21:59 »
Could you use a compost accelerator aka ammonium sulphamate if you're not planning on using it for the next 3 months? (Takes that long to break down  into ammonium sulphate which is a fertiliser)  Has the added bonus of killing any weeds growing in it while its doing its compost accelerator thang.. ;) Can't be used as weed killer any more but can be used for composting I believe?
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 23:14 »
There will be useable soil there so don't go tipping it. It's on the plot, alive and useful  :)  I'd be sorting through it, wood for the bonfire, big thick stalks etc for the compost bin (bashing them about a bit with a hammer etc first if you like)  It's probably broken down though if it's been stood for some years.  Once you've reduced the size of the pile and it's soil and weeds left with smaller stones in it you could recompost it in the dalek etc

Christine

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 15:51 »
Weed seeds grow more weeds which should go back on the new compost heap before they go to seed. I mean - never waste usable composting material.  :lol:

Beetie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 20:38 »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll sort through and see how it goes. I was thinking chicken wire over the barrow to sieve it?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 20:43 »
Another option is to cover with black plastic old (compost bags will do), cut crosses in it, plus a couple of holes for drainage and plant squash/pumpkin plants into it.  The grass, etc will die down but you get the benefit of the compost and save your back.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
A pile of mushroom compost, and a pile of manure

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 19:18
by Totty
xx
How would you tackle this problem ?

Started by aligemini on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 23:12
by aligemini
clip
How best to tackle tomato mess up?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 22:02
by ConfusedGardener
clip
New Neighbouring Plot To Tackle.

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 21:07
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 32 queries.