My lotty has doubled in size!!! Lordy!!

• 5 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
My lotty has doubled in size!!! Lordy!!
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:50 »
The old fella next to me has given up his plot so my parents are going to take it on, which means I am going to be doubly busy now!!  :D

It's a good plot with compost bin, water butts and a shed etc, with all his bits and bobs, netting etc being left for us to use, which is good.

I'm planning on having a seperate area for dwarf fruit trees, stawb beds, etc and it now gives more room for extra peas and tates!!  8)

Question is what sort of fruit trees will thrive in fen soil that gets full sun?  Are there certain types that are good and what would you suggest I get?

Would a peach tree give any results in the UK?

Cheers

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Re: My lotty has doubled in size!!! Lordy!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08 »
Thought you'd been using some kind of miracle feed for a moment there :D

Congrats on the extention, unfortunately I don't know much about fruit bushes, only that raspberries seem to grow pretty much anywhere.

Just what is distinctive about fen soil?

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 22:52 »

Cheers

I purchased a pygmy peach tree online from Parkers and this has produced well for the last two years.  

Year 1 blossom

Year 2 fruits

I ended up with two after I had a couple of cherry failures in the delivery, complained to customer services and they resent the whole delivery again!

I am down on the South Coast, so I know we get far milder frost than you do, you just need to protect the blossom from frost to stop damage.

Congratulations on your new plot.  I doubled my cultivation area last year when I took over another half plot and am already running out of space (with ideas anyway - still loads to do!)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 22:57 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

andyandyjohnson

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 23:43 »
I have a peach tree in my garden in Sheffield. In a good year I get five or six peaches from it. They are gorgeous though.

Go for it.
Thanks

Andy

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 20:34 »
The old fella next to me has given up his plot so my parents are going to take it on, which means I am going to be doubly busy now!!  :D

It's a good plot with compost bin, water butts and a shed etc, with all his bits and bobs, netting etc being left for us to use, which is good.

I'm planning on having a seperate area for dwarf fruit trees, stawb beds, etc and it now gives more room for extra peas and tates!!  8)

Question is what sort of fruit trees will thrive in fen soil that gets full sun?  Are there certain types that are good and what would you suggest I get?

Cheers

Might struggle with Peaches on the Fens. Apples, Pears, Plums will all do well on good fen soil :)

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 14:57 »
Thanks guys I might stick with the basics down the plot and get a peach tree in a big pot for the garden as that's South facing and gets proper warm!!

xx
My Lottie has doubled!!

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2011, 22:03
by gavinjconway
xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty
xx
New lotty

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 19:08
by oakfairy
xx
Hi Ho....of to the Lotty we go.

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 18:54
by milkman

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 28 queries.