Just got a new plot on a new site!!!

• 14 Replies

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
Just got a new plot on a new site!!!
« on: March 09, 2013, 20:26 »
Hi guys,as the title suggests I've just taken on a new plot on a brand new site. The site is well mowed meadow. The vast majority of my fellow plot holders are hiring turf-cutters and taking out the top couple of inches of earth - presumably to let the grass and roots break down before putting it back on. Now to me, this seems like a lot off unnecessary hard work, I was thinking - raised beds and bring in a combination of horse muck ( I have an unlimited free source) and council compost. What do you guys think??? All responses will be gratefully received!!!

Chrysalis

Re: Just got a new plot on a new site!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 20:39 »
Sounds like fun!  :)

can't offer advice, but surely you can;t go wrong with muck?  :blush:

Good luck with the new venture...

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 21:09 »
Good Luck and congratulations.

my advice would be your second option, but whatever you choose, make sure you enjoy your plot

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 22:12 »
Get the spade sharpened and back bent lmpd  :lol:
I dunno its up to you with the raised beds,i tried a few on mine but they just seemed to attract weeds around them.The scorched earth style of allotment works best for me where its dug from side to side and top to bottom,i have got a very weedy plot though.
Good luck with the new plot whatever you decide.

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 22:39 »
It may be worth remembering you will suffer wireworms for the first few years as it has been meadow.
So I wouldnt plant too many spuds as they will suffer from the little blighters.
I always remember 'bug picking' when digging as a kid- my Grandad would dig, and my job was to pick out any roots, stones and bugs!
Have a great time on your new plot and take 100's pictures, as it will be great to be able to see what you have achieved!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 11:19 »
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I've just googled wireworm - I had no idea they were such a wide-spread problem, however the spuds I've got are a small amount of second earlies so fingers crossed - should be ok. I like the idea of plenty of photos as it is just a green rectangle right now - I must remember to take the camera with me today before I do anything!!!

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:46 »

My advice would be to cover half with heavy plastic and just work the other half this year.

It'll be better to do just 50% of it well than struggle with the whole thing.

That way, the covered area will be weed/grass free next year and ready to cultivate.

- Gazzy.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 14:47 »
If you go with raised beds over the cut meadow, nothing wrong with this but I would put a thick layer of wet newspaper (think full thickness), followed by a double layer of good quality non-plastic weed membrane, I got some on ebay which I have been very pleased with. Otherwise you will have nice raised-meadow-beds in 6 months. In fact, first I would still cut the sod and turn it over in the areas you plan to cover.

Only things to think about (and this depends on your priorities).

Raised beds don't make the best use of space.
Raised beds can cost a lot of £££ when you add it up.

Ema

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 16:59 »
Ive recently taken on a plot which hasnt been used for 2 years. I've dug a few beds not raised but just simple beds. I'm going to put cardboard down over the area I'm using for spuds which is abou 1/4 the plot this year. I've gone for cardboard because it's free, I can't possibly dig that whole area in time and the soil will keep the nutrients from the weeds. I will probably use far lard around the goseburys that are already there too

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 16:27 »
Hi, sounds like you have got an idea to use something like lasagne gardening to develop your beds.  

You start with a layer of cardboard over the grass/weeds.  You then add a layer of manure and alternate green and brown layers until you have about 6 layers of depth, then top with compost.  You can then either leave the bed to rot down before planting or plant plug plants you have raised in the meantime.  I have had good results (see my ecodolly diary on here for information).  I am gradually surrounding my beds with wood, but this isn't essential.

This is what I have used to quickly convert my overgrown plots I took over (which were wall to wall couch with little else growing in them).  Sadly, I haven't been able to use the concept for the last half of my second plot as the soil is full of plastic, carpet and other junk and it is all different levels.  If you have a relatively level site, then it sounds like a good idea.

This was the half I tackled last summer (I took the plot over in June) and how it progressed.  I managed to get excellent courgette, winter squash, celery, salads, cut flowers and chard crops out of these beds within a very short time frame - no digging required other than grubbing out a few large perennial dock plants that were growing.

To explain the pics: 1) taken when I took over plot, 2) After first beds set up, 3) planted up 4) end of season.  The weed suppressing membrane was just the start of paths I introduced between the beds.  

At the end of the summer, I planted cabbages, cauliflowers, garlic and onions into these beds having added a little pelleted chicken manure to the brassica beds first.

By the way, you don't need to set up beds - you can use the concept over a larger area if you wish and if you have the raw materials to do so - it is just that most people use beds with this method.  I also have bark chip paths to reduce the maintenance as I find, with grass paths, I am always fighting the couch grass from creeping onto the beds.

There are lots of articles available online and youtube on lasagne gardening.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 16:32 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 16:53 »
Well done you! Sounds like a nice space. But if it's flat and well-drained, do you need raised beds? I have them because I am on a clay-based sloping bog, otherwise I'd go for the more traditional look.

Unless you have very pernicious weeds I wouldn't stick membrane under the beds. One of the advantages of raised beds (now I'm arguing for them, see how contrary I am?!  :)) is that you can dig deeper than the path and get more air/muck/compost into them. Over time the added manure etc will raise the height of the soil in the beds, you don't need to fill it all at once (though filling one with a stack of composting turves sounds interesting).

You'll get nearly as many opinions as contributors - or possibly more!

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 17:36 »
Now in one corner of the plot dig a hole about 18- 24 ins deep this will give you a good notion of the soil and subsoil and its drainage (if the hole fills with water you have a problem ) if its clay 6 ins down then raised beds will be the way to go Plants like a good 12- 18 ins of un compacted soil if its good nice all the way down take the turf of and compost face to face and enjoy as it is
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 23:36 »
Wow Angelavdavis you've done an incredible job in such a short space of time. I've now tied my colours to mast and started down the raised beds route. One of the reasons being that - on my last allotment in East Anglia, I went down the traditional route (with magnificent results I might add) and would now like to give something else a try. However, in East Anglia the soil is rich, black and crumbley, where as here on the Somerset/Wilts border the soil is very red and heavy. While waiting for a plot to come up I've grown or rather tried growing stuff in the garden the traditional way - with poor results, although in fairness that was likely as not down to the poor summer last year. So raised beds it is!!!
Ilan, I will dig a hole anyway and report back on the soil and subsoil.

green jack

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 23:48 »
we have raised beds on our plot as it was a blank canvass  :blink: but it does cost for the beds  :(
we used the 2 inch thick boards and they cost £2.00 each (scaffold) for a 8ft board so they don't go far  :(

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 15:47 »
Wow Angelavdavis you've done an incredible job in such a short space of time. I've now tied my colours to mast and started down the raised beds route. One of the reasons being that - on my last allotment in East Anglia, I went down the traditional route (with magnificent results I might add) and would now like to give something else a try. However, in East Anglia the soil is rich, black and crumbley, where as here on the Somerset/Wilts border the soil is very red and heavy. While waiting for a plot to come up I've grown or rather tried growing stuff in the garden the traditional way - with poor results, although in fairness that was likely as not down to the poor summer last year. So raised beds it is!!!
Ilan, I will dig a hole anyway and report back on the soil and subsoil.

Well, we look forward to you posting back!

Like Green Jack, there are no cheap sources of scaffold boards, etc down here.  I ended up buying 2400mm pressure treated decking boards from B&Q on special offer £2.49 each.  I need 4 per bed.  I use roughly 1 + a third boards for the length with the remainder for the width.  I just buy them when I can afford it. 

I find my established beds are now relatively free draining, but by adding layers of mulch, you keep the watering down too in summer.  It works well for me.

xx
New to the site with a new plot to plan...

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 11:51
by mumofstig
xx
New Site

Started by mikey9863 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 18:57
by muntjac
xx
new site

Started by purplenic on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 17:02
by purplenic
xx
The Site

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:16
by DavidT

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 36 queries.