Quail housing

• 14 Replies

michael85

Quail housing
« on: March 04, 2013, 16:53 »
Hi there

I currently have 6 quials living indoors in the brooder and Im planning there outdoor living quarters.

I do plan to hatch more and more in the future so want to make something that can easily be extended.

After doing research on the internet Ive been left with two (pretty important) questions.

1. If I end up keeping a large number of quail, should I have lots of small houses with a few quial in each, or will they tollerate living in one big house together.

2. Ive seen lots of peoples set-ups were the birds live in cages or wooden houses, don't they need access to a run of some sort?

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Quail housing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 17:07 »
I have mine in rabbit hutches at the moment.  A breeding pair in one and six females in another.  I am planning to have a shed converted for them with an outdoor area but like you I am unsure of them all being in together.  I have had problems integrating before and they are quite settled at the moment.  I may make cages within the shed with access to an outdoor run.  My other thought is just having them all together in the shed with the outdoor area.  Bit concerned about standing on them when cleaning out though.   :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

michael85

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 18:20 »
I like the idea of lots of small cages attached to one big run. So long as at night time they dont all try get in the same cage!

splash101

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 19:15 »
Mine dont go in at night, even in sub zero temp's.

They all live together in a huge aviary without any problems. In the winter they will huddle as a group when its really cold (they do have a hut but they dont use it in winter, they use it more for shade in the summer).
During the breeding season you shouldnt have too much of a problem providing there are enough females to males ratio and they have enough space (to escape each other but mainly as they like there own little zones). Once breeding season is over they rejoin as one group.

Just in the last couple of days my males are beginning to claim their zones  :nowink:

Different methods suit different people. If i didnt have the aviary  i would probably have a small coop with attached run and keep the numbers low (well the male numbers low anyway)

michael85

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 19:35 »
Hi, thats really interesting to know, do you have nest boxes as well as the hut, or do they lay in there too?

Thanks

splash101

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 20:22 »
No i dont have nest boxes, they pretty much lay anywhere. They do lay in the hut as well. I've got some large plantpots & buckets laying on their side and they use them as well, and in their sand bath, pretty much where they feel like it.

michael85

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 21:02 »
nice one, thanks for your help.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 21:04 »
No i dont have nest boxes, they pretty much lay anywhere. They do lay in the hut as well. I've got some large plantpots & buckets laying on their side and they use them as well, and in their sand bath, pretty much where they feel like it.

Does your aviary have a roof splash and what do you use on the flooring?  Could you post some pictures as I would love to see your setup?   :D

splash101

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 21:50 »
The flooring is slabbed with a deep layer of easibed which is just brilliant. Its taken me so long to find a supplier of bedding, other than shavings and straw, and although they are about 30 minutes away, its on the way back from somewhere we frequent. They do a better rate if you buy 3 bales, so we do and it lasts us ages.

The roofing is now a solid roof. We started off with clear corrugated sheets which were good for their purpose but the local cat used to lay on it looking at the birds inside. Hubby was worried because the sheets are not that thick and break easily, he had visions of one good storm and bye bye dickie birds. Of course he could have meshed the roof inside.

I've kept the corrugated sheets as they can be used somewhere for the walk in run for the chickens (that he announced today that he will be starting soon)  :D  :D  :D
It's funny how you plant that seed of thought by leaving not so subtle hints and hey presto, they think its all their own idea.

I always have good intentions with photos but never quite get there, heaven knows why we spend that much time watching them. Must try harder.

splash101

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 17:34 »
We've had such trouble today with a large male sparrow hawk trying to get to our quails.

It's been around 7-8 times and doesnt seem to bothered that me and hubby were less than 4 feet away. It's persistant if nothing else.

I do like to see the hawks but not at my own expense.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:52 »
Sorry to hear the Sparrowhawk has taken a shine to your birds.  They frighten quite easily so I bet you are really worried about them.

Thanks for the info.  I have more idea now on what my hubby will plan to build after a few suble hints.

Good luck with your walk in run.

splash101

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:51 »
They've been a real pain. 3 different ones. Its the quails they are after so hubby has used the clear corrugated sheet as a temporary measure and screwed it around the bottom half of the aviary for a bit more protection.
We lost a canary last week with a broken leg, I cant say for sure it was the fright from the hawk but she had spent all week building her nest, so quite cross really.
Anyway on the plus side, the chickens went after the hawk yesterday instead of hiding  :nowink:

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54 »
I was going to let Dotty and her chicks out this morning but changed my mind after reading your post.  I will let them out later when I can supervise them as they would make a tasty snack.

splash101

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:56 »
They sure would make a snack.

Up until yesterday the chickens have been hiding but i was so surprised when they squared up to it, neck feathers out on stalks, and went after it. I thought they been swapped for 4 cockerels.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 16:09 »
 :lol:

They can be tough when they want to.  My top hen had a go at our turkey stag through the net fencing but wished she hadn't.  He prompty grabbed her comb with his beak and proceeded with a tug of war.  Luckily the damage was mainly to her pride and just a little cut on her comb.   ::)

xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw
xx
hen housing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:20
by raeburg
xx
OK first questions re housing

Started by tanya on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 23:29
by compostqueen
xx
Re-housing 'Darkie'

Started by Luther on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 22:41
by Luther

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 28 queries.