depluming mite & treating ?

• 7 Replies

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
depluming mite & treating ?
« on: March 01, 2013, 22:35 »
Me again ::)

' hen stripping feathers '  was my last posting. I searched this site & googled like mad  :ohmy:

I think I have found the answer - Depluming Mite ??    Hen has stripped her entire neck of her feathers by and continues to scratch her bald neck  :(  The other 2 are still fine ?

The coop has been cleaned and diatom in every crevice and crack, also dusted all 3 in diatom (although not seen aything!)

Have withdrawn 'treats' so just layer pellets & water for now !!

Now the big question is I have read to use a powder or spray containing Pyrethrum   ???
Where could I source this (or is it prescribed only ) and also do I treat the hen and the coop  :unsure:

Really hope you lovely people will have some 'eggcellent' advice for me  ??? :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: depluming mite & treating ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:03 »
my vets prescribe frontline spray for my birds but as this isn't licensed for poultry you should get it from a vet and sign for it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 19:36 »
Thanks Joyful   :) - will go that route first  :blink:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 21:33 »
Its not cheap though, I got some off my vet yesterday as a precaution so I don't need to race down if I ever need it.  He advised an egg withdrawal of 28 days so be aware of that. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 22:10 »
You also said you hen was being pecked by another hen, hence suggestion of beak clip.
Have you hens got things to amuse them during the day time, like jumping for greens. Is the deplumed hen growing new feathers and bleeding, therefore attracting new unwanted attention, purple spray should help. Is the one attacking the dominant hen and do you pick up all your hens or just the deplumed one. I find they are more submissive if picked up.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 18:30 »
Hen with poorly neck has passed away today  :( :( :(
Had treated with purple srpay & diatomed dust bath area & coop and hens to make sure, she was lots better scraching around early thsi morning then this afternoon I looked out and she was fluffed up in the run - on investigating further found her to be hardly breathing  :ohmy:
I brought her in and checked her but her neck was very floppy she sat in my lap and passed.

I am so sad  :(

We only got these 4 pol bantams on 10th November, I had one die overnight within 2 weeks of getting them (she was the smallest), we went back to lady & she let us pick another f.o.c
This we manged to be accepted by the remaining 3 and all was good until my one Alys was poorly - vet was pretty certain it was Maereks disease ??  Now she seemed to think that if that was the case all of them would follow the same fate within 2 weeks of each other. Alys passed on 27th Jan and all other 3 seemed fine until the issue with this one.  Now I am unsure as to whether I am doing anything wrong or whether I have just had some bad luck  :(

grinling

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 20:56 »
So sorry to hear this.
Been reading my Haynes manual... look at the other birds eye colour, grey can be an indicator of sone of the strain of Mareks.
The person you bought them off prob doesn't vaccinate and her flock has it. It can take between 4 weeks or several months to show up when the bird is stressed.
Infection caused by feather debris inhalation.
Solution is to cull.
This is not your fault. Do not buy from that breeder again.
Do not give up, but the best solution is to cull, remove all traces by cleaning and disinfecting house and run area. I would then leave it for several weeks and find another seller, ask for recommendations on here, or try chicks and raise them (go for self sexing ones).

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59 »
So sorry Mega.   :(

I am just catching up on everyones news after being away for a week.  I hope that your remaining hens are well and you have better luck from now on. 

question
Depluming Mite

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 10:52
by darkbrowneggs
xx
Treating red mite

Started by susiepoos on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 08:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
Treating ear mite in hens

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 19:16
by richyrich7
xx
treating a hen house

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 22:53
by grinling

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 37 queries.