Hen Muck

• 2 Replies

habanerohead

Hen Muck
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:57 »
I've got a mate who keeps hens and apparently has substantial quantities of hen muck to get rid of.
I've got a rolling hot composter that I feed with coffee grounds and a soupcon of urine (light the blue touch paper and stand clear!) and it composts in about 2 months - I'll be feeding that w/ some hen muck, but I wondered if the plot would benefit from digging in some fresh stuff, and whether I could plant into it straight after digging, or whether it would be best to let it sit for a bit. I've used dried hen muck with good results - is the undried, uncomposted stuff that different?

Cheers.

Trillium

Re: Hen Muck
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:33 »
Hen muck is the most potent stuff out there, so no, never spread it in the spring because you cannot plant directly into it. Your plants will simply burn up and die from the excessive ammonia. Let it compost down for a few months first. If it still smells very pongy, leave it for a while longer.

For fresh spreading, do it only in the fall after all the crops are off and it will mellow out over winter. That's what I do with the manure spreader load of fresh hen muck I get every fall. For fruit trees and bushes, leave it to age until spring before spreading. Trust me.

bravemurphy

Re: Hen Muck
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:55 »
I trench it under the brassicas they seem to love it.

xx
Cow muck instead of Horse muck

Started by MARROW HEAD on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:32
by compostqueen
xx
Muck

Started by Stripey_cat on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 13:19
by Aidy
xx
Muck - How much & on what?

Started by matty42 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 20:25
by matty42
xx
MUCK OR NOT TO MUCK?

Started by RoynLisa on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 13:34
by WG.

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 28 queries.