Muck - How much & on what?

• 18 Replies

matty42

« on: October 18, 2008, 09:24 »
hi all
 well i have now had my lottie for almost a year and now want to add some manure on the beds to overwinter so how much do i add and to which beds as i have been told not to manure certain crpos that are going in next year ! :lol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10976776@N02/sets/72157608129404886/

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 09:28 »
you don't manure for roots, eg carrots and parsnips

I'd put enough on to cover the bare soil, if you have enough.

shaun

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:42 »
I cant see any benefit from using a manure as a mulch in the winter surely any goodness would be washed away,plus all those nastys in the soil have a nice blanket to hide under  :wink: ,i would rather open the soil up(roughly dug) with a spade or fork and let the winter frosts/rain do its stuff,then in early spring use your manure and dig it in then.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 10:08 »
well I can  :D   I mulch my beds overwinter with the stuff and then either fork it in come spring or plant through it. It keeps the soil in moist and workable

I don't do digging  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 10:50 »
This is confusing me!!!!

One says its ok as a mulch others are saying it isnt

ARGHHHHH!!!!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 12:17 »
well, that's allotmenteers for ya  :wink:

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 12:57 »
The way I look at it, the more manure you put in the soil, the better it will get, no matter how you do it the manure is still there in the soil.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 13:12 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
well, that's allotmenteers for ya  :wink:

I know..Ive said it myself, ask ONE question and get TWENTY answers
 :lol:

Paula

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 21:47 »
lol Ask 10 people for their opinion on something and you will end up with 11 different opinions, their ten plus yours.  :lol:

Here's another, plant green manure instead! ;)

Seriously it's a matter of finding what works for you and your soil.

This year at least I reckon it's best to dig in (animal) manure rather than leaving it on top on account of the potential pyralid contamination problem.

I'm growing field beans as green manure as it doesn't have to be dug in, will stop nutrients being leeched away over winter and discourage weeds, and I can leave the cut foliage as a mulch on the surface in the spring.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 22:01 »
I'm giving the green manure a go this year too.
I've got enough to cover 12sq mtrs of Winter grazing Rye. I'll try this and compare with traditional cow poo. I'm all for trying new methods. :)
Well. New to me anyhow  :roll:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:14 »
ta for that snippet.

I fancy a go at the green manures. Field beans - don't dig in. Gotchya  :D

matty42

mushroom compost
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 19:16 »
hi all well i have put manure on some of my beds that have been cleared for next year , so now i can get hold of alot of mushroom compost , is this any good ? also have got 5 black bags of leaves can i use these in the spring or wait a year ? thanks.

Christine

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:08 »
So far as I know there's nothing in mushroom compost that will give nutrients - but if you have heavy soil it's an excellent item for helping to lighten it.

Leaves want to be left to rot down before you use them.

Clampit

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 06:04 »
I have had some cattle manure delivered which I am now spreading on top of my dug beds, I prefer to fork it in as I have found that if I leave it as a mulch, come spring the soil underneath is unworkable for a longer period ie Wet, cold and soggy.
I have to admit, I have often thought about green manures but never used them, is it to late to plant them now?

Sven The Swede

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 07:50 »
Quote from: "Clampit"

I have to admit, I have often thought about green manures but never used them, is it to late to plant them now?

Do it. I use green manure for the first time on one of my plots on my allotment. A mixture of different seeds ie rye grass, field beans, clover ect. You don't have to plant them just broadcast them on top of the soil and let them do there work. Before I did it though. I dug the plot over in November and just left it until March cut it all down and dug it in. The soil on that plot was amazing it was like so easy to dig over and was like butter. Grow some top stuff in it last season. Must admit it is my best plot on my allotment and I hardly get any weeds in it. Next season my Spuds are due to go in that plot. So should have a good crop of spuds next Aug/Sept.

The area I had spud in this year was very rough. But after getting all my spud out, half of them with holes in but eh it did the soil some good, it was so easier to dig over. On that plot I have dug trenches and put load of veg peeling ect and back filled them put all my compost from my grow bags after I had finished with them and broadcast-ed loads of Green Manure on top as well. I will leave until spring time dig it over and all my beans, peas will be going in that plot next season.
I CAME LATE TO THIS GAME, BUT IT'S IN THE BLOOD. I TRY TO BE ORGANIC BUT SORRY HAVE TO USE THE SLUG PELLETS.

xx
Cow muck instead of Horse muck

Started by MARROW HEAD on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 22:32
by compostqueen
question
pig muck

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 23:34
by Annen
xx
cow muck

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 10:29
by markp76
xx
Cow Muck

Started by jetwiz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 20:55
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 37 queries.