Short or small perennials.

• 10 Replies

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
Short or small perennials.
« on: February 13, 2013, 13:47 »
Hi guys,

On my allotment I have (at the very front) a 3 foot by 15 foot raised flower bed.

At the moment I've got tulips along the back, and when these come out I'll put the gladioli in, and repeat every year.

At the front I've got a load of Crocus bulbs and in the middle a few herbs, some hellebores and some aquilegias. These are all good as they flower well but are small enough for the thin boarder and so don't look out of place.

I'm only just getting into flower growing and so don't know that much, but I'm looking for some low growing compact perennials to fill up the rest of the space. A nice mix of flowering times will be nice but not essential.

You can see the flower bed at the front here, and hopefully appreciate why anything more than about 12" by 12" is just too big and would dominate the bed:

I've bought some Dahlia tubers to go in too. I know you're supposed to lift them over winter but I'm just going to give them a good thick mulch and hope for the best. Because of the raised bed they'll never be sat in water (they're 12" up) and some straw followed by compost should insulate the crowns.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

- Gary.

Edit title spelling to aid searching.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 13:57 by arugula »
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Trillium

Re: Short or small perennials.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 14:05 »
You could always add a few perennial groundcovers like arabis (rock cress), creeping phlox, snow in summer, candytuft, etc. They rarely grow above a few inches in height and need no fussing. They'll also eventually provide the needed mulch.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 14:32 »

hebes are always a good do-er, you can keep them trimmed so they don't get too big  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 14:41 »
I like aubrieta as it creeps along and covers a good area.  Plus the other day I bought some dianthus seeds.  These ones only grow to around 6 inches high.  All different coloured pinks and purples I think they are.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 14:47 »
Purple thyme is low-growing with good purple (obviously) flowers - with the advantage that you can still use it in cooking  ;)

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 14:48 »

Yeah, I like the idea of some low growing creeping perrenials. Especially the creeping Phlox, that one looked good when I googled it.

However, will bulbs still be able to flower through them once they've formed a thick carpet? Or will I have to keep trimming them back?

Thanks for the ideas and tips everyone!

- Gary.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 14:56 »
Have a look at Lithodora "heavenly blue" (sometimes still called Lithospermum xxxx)

It's only a few inches high, very pretty blue flowers, evergreen, hardy, and although it does spread the clump gradually increases in diameter rather than rampaging all over the place.
It's said to like humus-rich soil, but mine has been perfectly happy for years in its sandy home.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 17:20 »
Yes, bulbs will easily poke through the phlox. I have it in my own garden with spring bulbs.

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 17:56 »

Brilliant, creeping Phlox it is!

I'm guessing I'll be able to get some from the local garden centre, so will go looking for them in another month or so.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

- Gary.

bendipa

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 16:38 »
Any of the Helianthemums are good. They are low growing and flower May - July with masses of flowers. I'd recommend Ben Fhada, Ben Ledi and Wisley White. All bloom profusely from late spring to midsummer. I'd also include Campanula Cochlearfolia, which is very reliable and flowers with a big flush in June then in fits and starts throughout the summer. All of these will spread over the years, but they are not invasive. You can simply cut them back as desired in summer.

sion01

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 16:39 »
What about some decorative herbs.They'd look good and be useful and as a rule bees and butterflys love them.If you can get the RHS plant guide  of garden herbs from the library.Its got good pictures and accurate plant size.

I planted a blackcurrant sage last year(small shrub) and its vivid pink flwers went on for months.

xx
Lazy perennials

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 13:13
by sclarke624
xx
Failed perennials..

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 18:08
by barney rubble
xx
Should I plant out perennials now?

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 10:03
by sunshineband
xx
when to plant perennials

Started by Juli on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 19:23
by Juli

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.