Digging up perennials

• 14 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Digging up perennials
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:04 »
I bought some perennials in my garden centre cheap, i guesssed to get them in now would be cheaper, however a bit down hearted as my house is up for sale, I wonder when I move house if they will take lightly to been dug up. When I say cheap not cheap enough to want to leave, but I do love them more than the cost really, does it depend on the perennial as to whether it will take to been dug up  :)

allotmentann

Re: Digging up perennials
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:28 »
I think it does depend on the plant whether it will tolerate being moved. A quick google search of each type will probably tell you. You could plant just the ones that don't mind being moved then and keep the others in bigger pots. Although if you are digging up any plants when you sell your house I think you have to say so and list them so buyers know :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:18 »
IAlthough if you are digging up any plants when you sell your house I think you have to say so and list them so buyers know :)

That's right ;)
Digging them up also depends on the time of year that you do it, obviously  winter is best while the plants are dormant.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 21:10 »
Yes I would be honest with any buyer, and I would not lose a sale for a few perennials.  I would ask them if they minded me taking them and hope they say they dont mind. Yes hopefully sell soon so they dont get too comfortable where they are  :)

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 21:21 »
you could try splitting them and separately re-potting up some of the resultant chunks - if you haven't planted them yet you may find it is possible as part of taking them out of the pots in which they were sold.

That way the originals stay there and you get the potted up ones, and in the meantime, until you sell, you have pots to distribute artistically around, concealing the slightly damaged flagstone or the patch where the fat accidentally spilled when BBQing left a mark..... 
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 16:39 »
Haha have you been in my back garden, yes that sounds like a great idea, the best of both worlds, unfortunately I have already planted them in the ground, If the house sells in winter and the foilage had died back, then maybe any potential buyer may not notice that there were plants in the border  :)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:02 »
Haha have you been in my back garden, yes that sounds like a great idea, the best of both worlds, unfortunately I have already planted them in the ground, If the house sells in winter and the foilage had died back, then maybe any potential buyer may not notice that there were plants in the border  :)

I don't think they'll be bothered tbh.  I brought some of my plants with me when I moved house 2 years ago, and on the fixtures and fittings form, under "garden plants" I ticked "included" and then wrote on the form "except for a few of sentimental value".  That was my get-out clause! (took more than a few, to be fair....)
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:43 »
You cannot predict what people will, or will not, be bothered by.

Make sure you are clear both when showing people round, and on the fixtures / fittings form once you're in the conveyancing process, and there is no scope either for bad feeling or for people deciding to try to renegotiate on the basis of information coming out of left field.

Saying you will leave them - or only take a few - and then taking a lot, is a recipe for lack of trust from your buyer and potential problems.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:44 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 15:58 »
I would not lose a sale for a few plants, i would be honest though, I have had a few viewings and they have all commented the garden is nice, so maybe they would be shocked when they arrived to a bare garden, I would love to see their faces though, wicked  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 17:14 »
That's not very nice  :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 18:47 »
I did as hamstergbert suggested. When we knew our house would go up for sale, I immediately started taking plant divisions in late summer and potted up my selection. When moving time came around, I had several estate wagons loads to the brim fulls of plants  :D It was only then that I realized just how many plants I had.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46 »
Carol Klein was talking about this on GW last night!  She was taking cuttings, dividing and collecting seed.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 19:25 »
6 years ago between Christmas & New Year we put our house up for sale,8 weeks later we accepted a offer,as plants started to grow I dug them up split them,planted the larger part back & potted up a small piece for me.I told the buyers I would be taking the  majority of the plants,they were fine with that. Couple that I didn't risk killing,I see aren't in the garden now that they are selling-beauty of tinternet.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 15:44 »
Rrr bet you wish you had taken them now  :( I dont mind to be honest I just wish the bloomin house would sell now.  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 21:37 »

Yes I do one was a lovely Acer & the other a Chusan palm

xx
Over wintering perennials

Started by allotmentann on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 08:21
by allotmentann
xx
Failed perennials..

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 18:08
by barney rubble
xx
when to plant perennials

Started by Juli on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 19:23
by Juli
xx
Should I plant out perennials now?

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 10:03
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.