Preparing new raised beds in March?

• 3 Replies

angela G

Preparing new raised beds in March?
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:41 »
Hello, I'm going to be clearing my lawn and making two raised beds, however and this is my dilemma I'm a bit confused re timing as I wont get chance to do this before mid March and articles I have read with regard what to add and when seem to state manure and organic matter should be added late Autumn or around February to give everything chance to settle before planting also if I need to add lime to the bed destined for brassica's when should I do this? 

My question to you all is am I too late to add manure and lime? if not how long do I leave between adding manure, lime and planting?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Preparing new raised beds in March?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47 »
Adding manure at the time you are planting potatoes in fine: they like  avery rich soil.

For root veg like carrots & parsnips, it will be a bit on the rich side, but you could put in some blood, fish & bone a couple of weeks before you sow the seeds

Don't add manure and lime together, as they have an unfavourable chemical reaction. Brassicas like very firm soil, on the alkaline side. if you do need to add lime ( and you may not -- cheap soil test will tell you) then you can feed your cabbages etc through the season with a high nitrogen fertliser such as chicken manure pellets.

Hope that helps

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

angela G

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 13:09 »
Hi, thank you it does make sense, I wont add manure to the bed I intend to grow cabbages etc and test the soil, if I do need to add lime I assume I would only need to wait a couple of weeks after adding to plant into this bed?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 14:07 »
I don't lime the entire bed but instead grow brassicas at home and when well established, dig a planting hole and pop a handful of lime in before planting them.  An alternate is to scatter the lime on to the soil round the plant and water in.

xx
Advice on preparing my raised beds for winter

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 13:55
by tmm
xx
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 22:38
by John
xx
Preparing raised container bed

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 22:33
by kermit
xx
Preparing beds for autumn sowings

Started by NewSteve on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 14:20
by Annen

Page created in 0.942 seconds with 28 queries.