everlasting onions

• 28 Replies

pjpj45

everlasting onions
« on: February 05, 2013, 16:45 »
over 60 years
ago my dad grew what he called everlasting onions which were good for eating raw or cooking and looked like a large spring onion sometimes streaked with red.  they were called everlasting as they grew in bunches and you dug up the bunch, split out the ones you needed and put the onion clump back, where they made more bunches.  hence everlasting! mine  died out 40 yrs ago and despite trying some seeds (no germination) have had no success in locating any since.  they were so good, strong and tasty.  any ideas where i can get these  preferably a clump!

Sparkyrog

Re: everlasting onions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 16:47 »
I know the ones you are referring to and would also love to locate some ! I think some people called them welsh onions .
I cook therefore I grow

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 16:49 »
Have another crack at growing from seed. They're easy enough.

Yes, look for "Welsh" onions also.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pjpj45

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 16:56 »
not sure what seeds to buy though as dont know the name unless welsh onion, wish you could buy clumps but thanks for your advice

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 16:59 »
Here's some examples:

http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=welsh+onion

Sow a pinch seeds in a paper pot or module. Start them off under glass, then harden then off.

Simply plant the whole pot or module.

The red ones are the ones I grew.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 17:54 »
wish you could buy clumps

This lot sell them - scroll down to Onion, everlasting

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/catalogue1.asp

Alternatively, if you have a garden centre near you that does a decent selection of herbs, they are sold as Welsh Onions.  Bit early yet, but should be available next month  :)

As DD says, they are also very easy from seed  ;)

candygold1

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 19:15 »
my grandad grew them and when i started my allotment i hunted everywhere to get some, i managed to buy 6 which i planted but alas only 3 survived, i now have 3 small clumps which i will split soon and plant single so next year i should have 20-30 clumps. im moving them in a few weeks as ive now got a council allotment and if you wanted a few im sure i could spare you some to get you started.

wighty

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 19:58 »
If at all possible Pete, could you drop one or two off at Plumbleys for me.  L(I'm sure you know where that is!!)  I'd like to have a go at growing these .

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 20:07 »
Curious about these.

How do they propagate? Do they reproduce because you let them go to seed, or do they simply produce more bulbs themselves - perhaps like some flower bulbs do (daffodils, crocus etc). Do you have to keep picking them, otherwise surely they would all go to seed eventually?

BTW I discovered some 'guardsman' spring onions on the plot the other day. They had survived the winter and tasted great. Must remember to overwinter a load later this year - seems like you could be eating them all year round.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 20:12 »
Each stem will split to produce two stems and so on. Can't say that I've ever noticed them go to seed, but I dare say that they do.

I have quite a few clumps and just rip half of a clump out at a time, moving onto the next on next time and leaving the first ones to reproduce.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 20:15 »
Each stem will split to produce two stems and so on. Can't say that I've ever noticed them go to seed, but I dare say that they do.

I have quite a few clumps and just rip half of a clump out at a time, moving onto the next on next time and leaving the first ones to reproduce.

They do eventually if you don't use the larger ones up by the following year.. at least that is what mine did last year (white sort) but I managed to save enough offshoots to keep them going
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 20:20 »
I got Welsh onion seeds from a forum member and now have a new patch of Welsh onions that I'll be dividing this year.

I also have what we locally call Egyptian onions, aka walking onions, that form bulbs on top, bend over and plants itself in a new spot. These were here when we moved in and they're handy to have when a scallion is needed.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 20:49 »
Thanks for the reminder, Trillium, I've got a head of walking onion bulbils to split up. I'll probably get them going in a seed tray.

I wonder who the forum member is, of whom you speak?  :lol:

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 20:53 »
Super. Another veg go grow!

candygold1

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 20:55 »
If at all possible Pete, could you drop one or two off at Plumbleys for me.  L(I'm sure you know where that is!!)  I'd like to have a go at growing these .

no problem ill drop a few in for you when i move them

xx
everlasting onions are they very nice ?

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 20:42
by tooo many seeds
xx
Everlasting Cauliflower

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 10:55
by BLOOMING LOVELY
xx
Everlasting Cauliflowers anyone?

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 11:32
by Maryann
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 37 queries.