sprouts and broccoli

• 11 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
sprouts and broccoli
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:07 »
Hello,

I don't seem to have much success

I'm growing straight into the dirt, with compost mixed in, in direct sunlight, but my sprouts and broccoli just grow into stringy weedy looking things,

Can i have some tips/pointers? i grew potatoes in the same soil and they grew ok, so did my carrots..

Craig

Title edit for search purposes
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 14:29 by mumofstig »
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

BabbyAnn

Re: sprouts and brocili
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 13:35 »

Im growing straight into the dirt, with compost mixed in,

Do you mean you sow direct and leave the plants all through the growing season?  Perhaps sow in pots, pot on when they get bigger, and when they are ready again, plant them in the final growing location.  Try not to let the plants get pot bound otherwise that can bring up similar problems.

The soil needs to be very fertile, and bear in mind that sprouts especially, have a long growing season.  A rich source of nitrogen and maybe a slow release fertiliser is needed for a continuation of available nutrients.  It's possible the compost you used was exhausted quickly (or if the soil is sandy, washed away by rain) and hence, a poor growth.  Maybe add some manure as well - chicken manure pellets can give plants a great boost.

Another possibility is the soil pH - if yours is a bit on the acidic side, it may be preventing the plants from an uptake of essential nutrients, or worse, your plants may have club root.  A bit of lime in the planting hole when you plant out may be needed.  Also, dig a deeper hole than the original pot size and bury part way up the stem - don't forget to firm the soil after planting.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 13:37 »
would it be a good idea to let my own hens, poop on the area and then net it off?

I have tried pots then into ground, this will actually be my 4 attempt, first in my new home,

Craig

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 13:38 »
I sow straight into the ground, into pots, always the same weedy result.. (or the slugs eat them fully)

Craig

savbo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 16:33 »
I sow straight into the ground, into pots, always the same weedy result.. (or the slugs eat them fully)

Craig

would definitely look for club root. I have it in my ground but by growing to 4" pots (or bigger) and dusting the planting hole with additional lime I am able to grow really strong PSB and kale.... sprouts I was just too late with

sav

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Re: sprouts and broccoli
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 16:35 »
im sorry but club root?

Craig

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 18:20 »
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=128

Are you making sure that you are really firming down the ground - they can grow poorly if they are not very firmly in the ground.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 18:32 »
hi wen i pull them out, the roots look like normal roots, nothing like that picture, no i didnt press down, i didnt no that..

Craig

Christine

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 19:22 »
Well there's a useful start here for some basic information.

I always start brassica seeds off in seed compost in a tray, thin them out into small pots when they are big enough to handle and when the roots are poking out of the pots, then I plant them into the ground.

I was taught by one of the best of the old allotment gardeners locally that before I planted out the brassicas I had to tramp down the soil very solidly and then plant. You see brassicas don't like to be blown about by the wind. So you really do need to stamp them in to stop them having the chance to rock about.

Does that help?

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 22:08 »
Yes thank you

In the compost trays, do you add anything? e.g. manure?

Craig

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 23:03 »
In the compost trays, do you add anything? e.g. manure
No additives to the seed compost - any multi purpose compost should do for sowing in trays (I sieve for seeds) and also planting up into 3 inch pots - this just gets rid of the clumps.

Christine

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 15:46 »
Yes thank you

In the compost trays, do you add anything? e.g. manure?

Craig

I do treat myself to proper seed compost for starting things off - the stuff that says seed compost or No 1. But that's because I start a lot of things off in trays and can't be bothered to sit there sieving. But that's laziness. When you start seeds off you really don't want to feed them. Water yes, food no. You feed the ground when you plant them out.

xx
Broccoli,Sprouts,Cauliflower

Started by Jeni on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 00:42
by viettaclark
xx
Sprouts / sprouting broccoli

Started by Novice on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 08:59
by John
xx
Sprouts and Sprouting Broccoli

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:50
by DD.
xx
Sprouts And broccoli failed

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 20:01
by the Kergan

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 37 queries.