shed security

• 22 Replies

mike0001

• Experienced Member
shed security
« on: January 23, 2013, 16:35 »
i have a wooden shed at home and sunday night it was broken into

padlock on gate cut , 2 padlocks on shed cut.... 3 bikes were stolen as a result

so looking into upping security and had some advice, may seem a bit over the top for some but i collect vintage bikes and there quite valuable

so putting metal sheet on the inside to strengthen....... then using 2 types of lock

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCK-BOX-BOLT-ON-SHED-SECURITY-DEVICE-LOCK-KIT-LOCK-BOX-SECURE-YOUR-SHED-/150949034537?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item2325437a29

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/garden-shed-or-garage-locking-brackets-very-secure-and-heavy-duty-/330851750500?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item4d084d1264

anyone have any better ideas ?

Gwiz

Re: shed security
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 17:19 »
I like the second one, but also get a digitec wireless alarm as well. You don't have to go wild over it, Ebay should see you with a system for £30 or less, that way if they open the door or try top get through the roof/window you are also covered. I'd go for one that has a pir in the shed and a seperate alarm in the home. They do make a right old racket so you don't miss it! Get yourself one of those "million candle power" rechargable torches that you can shine down the garden from the comfort of your bedroom.
The theiving rat-bags don't like that sort of thing.

Bad luck on the theft though. There's a lot of it about..... :mad:

Griffete

• Experienced Member

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 18:35 »
Whats the hinge side of the door like,this can be a weakness on some doors?

smud6ie

grendel

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 21:32 »
no lock plus shed full to the door with junk - never lost a thing yet (cant even count on thieves to tidy the shed for you)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 17:52 »
When our site was broken into early last year the sheds that were the most secure were just had their doors broken down so lock strength or amount of locks didn't matter.

I don't lock my shed, but then the most valuable thing in there is my camping stove and it wouldn't break the bank to replace it - or I'd just take a flask like I used to.

It's horrible having your shed burgled/broken into - such idiots some people. >:(

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 14:33 »

Sorry to hear about your bikes. The problem with putting a lock on anything is if the scumbags want whatever is inside they will break the door/window.  We've just got our plot only last week and there is a small shed on there.
The better half as said that we will have to fix a lock, but it won't stop anyone that wants to get in. It's a shame that we have to lock our bits & bobs up for fear of having them stolen, but what's the alternative??
Some of the members have put alarms on their sheds, now the allotments are in the village but nobody takes any notice of alarms these days as car alarms get tripped by a gust of wind,  they are always going off.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 15:42 »
A wooden shed can never be totally secure. I have bike, rotavator and mower in mine. I link them all, plus an old  builders wheelbarrow with a really good chain and padlock (motor cycle security type) . They can't just take one item. Also have a security light overlooking the shed. Has worked so far!

bravemurphy

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 19:00 »
Personaly i dont keep anything valueable in my shed cos if they want to get in there then they

will just rip the door off, nothing is thief proof especially if they know there is something

in there worth easy money.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 19:13 »
...............don't get me started!!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 21:10 »
I've just built a new shed and my dad told me to take my fancy Yale front door style lock back to the shop.

There's nothing expensive in their but his reasoning was a thief might think that such a secure lock was bound to be protecting something very pricey. So I'm just going to pop a padlock on it instead.

I haven't had anything but a big rock holding my door shut for months on the old shed but some horrible person stole a petrol lawn mower 2 weeks ago from the plot right by the entrance  >:( some people...

grendel

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 22:32 »
my shed at home has a 5 foot post leaning on the door to keep it shut, that and once you open the door you are faced with a wall of stuff. that reminds me I need to tidy it.
Grendel

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 01:15 »

I haven't had anything but a big rock holding my door shut for months

Me too, though our site is fairly secure. I'll put a padlock on when I eventually get round to putting the latch on, but I don't plan on keeping anything of value in there.

veggies

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 07:47 »
you would be better putting these on
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-SETS-OF-NEW-HIGH-SECURITY-2PC-PADLOCK-HASP-VAN-LOCK-/250876600245?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item3a69691fb5

These locks are very good, I use them on my van, very strong if fixed with bolts , don't screw them on as they will pull through the timber, tool station . Co .uk or com sell them, free postage ...

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 15:23 »
We've just had our AGM & one of the things we talked about was security on the allotments, as it's on the edge of the village. We had a guy come to talk about ways of making your shed secure,  and one of the ladies told of having the whole front of her shed pulled off with a crowbar, so that they could get in... :mad: :mad:

xx
on site security cameras

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 11:06
by Kristen
xx
allotment security cameras

Started by dmg on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 17:53
by Griffete
xx
Allotment Security Cameras? Need to find who is nicking our veggies.

Started by pswildlifephotography on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 21:46
by Steve.B
xx
Shed

Started by stompy on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2006, 23:48
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 37 queries.