Celeriac - sowing time?

• 16 Replies

Agatha

Celeriac - sowing time?
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:14 »
Have a packet of Celeriac Bianco del Veneto to sow this year.  Any ideas as to when would be the best time to sow it as I've not grown it before?  The packet says from Feb but that is much too early!  How long can they cope indoors before being planted out?  I know a drop in temperature can encourage bolting and my veg patch is quite exposed and at least a week behind the nearest village in cropping.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

savbo

Re: Celeriac - sowing time?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 14:10 »
last year I sowed in early April which was too late - in 2011, I sowed 15th March with some heat and had most up in 2 weeks... will be doing a March sowing again to give me a long growing season. I sow in a small tray then prick out into 2" pots until they are ready for the ground. Will plant them out in early May if weather OK

sav

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 16:51 »
Have a packet of Celeriac Bianco del Veneto to sow this year.  I know a drop in temperature can encourage bolting and my veg patch is quite exposed and at least a week behind the nearest village in cropping.

I've not heard of that variety before, where did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

If you have problems with bolting make sure you gradually harden your plants off before planting out

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 18:43 »
I sow mine in February in seed trays in a heated propagator and prick them out into individual paper pots when they are large enough.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 18:48 »
I sow mine in February in seed trays in a heated propagator and prick them out into individual paper pots when they are large enough.

Worked for me last year too  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 21:38 »
It's a lovely variety, it has purple streaks to the flesh and foliage

I just checked back and I sowed mine on 28 Feb  :)

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 13:27 »
Have a packet of Celeriac Bianco del Veneto to sow this year.  I know a drop in temperature can encourage bolting and my veg patch is quite exposed and at least a week behind the nearest village in cropping.

I've not heard of that variety before, where did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

If you have problems with bolting make sure you gradually harden your plants off before planting out

It's from the Franchi sementi range of seeds (Italian).  Obviously us Wiltshire folks are far too insular and don't trust this 'foreign stuff' as the garden centre were selling the whole range off for 10p a packet - Bargain!  I also got a pumpkin Tonda padana (yellow and green stripy) and a chilli pepper Padron.

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 13:29 »
last year I sowed in early April which was too late - in 2011, I sowed 15th March with some heat and had most up in 2 weeks... will be doing a March sowing again to give me a long growing season. I sow in a small tray then prick out into 2" pots until they are ready for the ground. Will plant them out in early May if weather OK

sav

Would they last longer in pots if the weather not ok in early May?  I tend not to put stuff that is really temperature sensitive out until late May/early June.  My garden is quite exposed and the windchill factor does cause a problem sometimes!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 18:54 »
Bob Flowerdew on G.Q.T. today, said now in propagator - they need a long season with plenty of moisture. Apparently they like plenty of moisture and a rich soil like Celery, also said to pull off the lowest leaf around weekly intervals when plant bulbing reaches ping pong ball size to increase size.

:)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 18:57 »

sav

Would they last longer in pots if the weather not ok in early May?  I tend not to put stuff that is really temperature sensitive out until late May/early June.  My garden is quite exposed and the windchill factor does cause a problem sometimes!

As long as they have enough space, and a bit of a feed if they are in the same compost for more than a month, then yes, they will be fine.

Agatha

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 14:14 »
Thanks for all this.  Will hope to have enormous celeriac this year, though I'm not sure I'll have the time to take a leaf off each celeriac each week as advised by Mr Flowerdew!

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 15:09 »
Bob Flowerdew on G.Q.T. today, said now in propagator - they need a long season with plenty of moisture. Apparently they like plenty of moisture and a rich soil like Celery, also said to pull off the lowest leaf around weekly intervals when plant bulbing reaches ping pong ball size to increase size.

:)

Sadly mine never got to ping pong ball size  :(
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Agatha

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 13:52 »
You could try marketing them as 'mini-veg'.   :D

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 23:13 »
You could try marketing them as 'mini-veg'.   :D

I think Trading Standards might have words if I did.
Mini would be overstating it somewhat.

I doubt I shall try again. Love celeriac but grow it... no chance.

xx
Sowing Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2018, 10:12
by theothermarg
xx
sowing celeriac seeds.

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 20:47
by Mrs Bee
xx
Sowing celeriac - cover seeds or not?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 12:06
by BabbyAnn
xx
first time celeriac grower

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 13, 2018, 21:16
by brokenglass

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 39 queries.