How were your leeks?

• 50 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Re: How were your leeks?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 22:31 »
Despite two attacks by my chooks when they were 'leeklings', they've fattened up relatively well considering. Not as good as last year but worthy of digging up and eating. Only grew 50 or so this year as 1/2 what I grew last year bolted and were wasted.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 12:06 »
Best I've ever grown in about 30 years of trying. All about 1.5 to 2" in diameter, no hint of any disease or pest and very few bolted which is a first. Only problem is that I grew too many so having to give many away - not really a problem as family and neighbours are grateful!  :happy:
I forgot to add that I put the success down to fortnightly feeding with high nitrogen pasture fertilizer

Agatha

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 12:47 »
Mine were worse than usual, half bolted and the surviving half are much thinner than usual - but at least I did get a harvest, which is more than I could say for most crops in 2012.  Very leafy and green but I prefer that bit to the white so I'm happy!
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 14:27 »
Snip off any seed heads as soon as you see them to minimise the stalk growth - after harvesting the bolted leeks can be slit lengthwise to remove the flower stalk but I don't bother (I just use a bit more cheese sauce to hide them - I certainly don't regard them as being ruined.) 

No bolting problems this year, but no-one I've served them to in the past has commented and as far as I'm concerned the appearance is affected more than the taste.  8)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 14:41 »
It may depend upon the variety but once the leeks begin to run to seed the central core becomes considerably tougher - in some varieties pretty quickly. It can be as tough as leather and practically inedible!

My advice would be to lift and use shooting leeks straight away. Best of luck with the core if you want to give them a go but I find they fit nicely on the compost heap.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 16:11 »
It may depend upon the variety but once the leeks begin to run to seed the central core becomes considerably tougher

You may be right, because I've only ever grown Musselburgh, although I have to say that one regular dinner guest in particular would not let anything remotely tough get beyond her teeth (she's 90 and has been known to find bits of gristle in a glass of tap water!)  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 23:33 »
It may depend upon the variety but once the leeks begin to run to seed the central core becomes considerably tougher

You may be right, because I've only ever grown Musselburgh, although I have to say that one regular dinner guest in particular would not let anything remotely tough get beyond her teeth (she's 90 and has been known to find bits of gristle in a glass of tap water!)  :lol:

Sounds very much like my father.  :lol: He'll find a single pip in a pot of home-made strawberry jam which has been specially sieved at the making stage for his bed-time sandwiches.  :wub:

I grow Musselburgh, Giant Winter and "somethingelsewhosenameI'veforgotten" but it'll come to me later. I've no idea which is which once I plant them out. Shame as I had intended comparing results.  ::)

I grew them from seed in separate trays then muddled the lot up when it came to transplanting them. Clever eh?  :nowink:

Agatha

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 14:49 »
Mine were Musselburgh which I grow every year & which normally do really well, but the ones that went to seed were just a very tough flower stalk with a couple of leaves round it.  I hate wasting food, but these ones were beyond even me so they went on the compost heap.  Think they just couldn't cope with extreme heat followed by flooding. Better luck next year.  (As my veg patch was covered in water for most of the summer, I think the only crop that would have been successful would have been rice!)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 14:52 »
I've pulled leeks today, a reasonable size, but we've grown much better. The rest look a bit thin really. The white bits don't seem particularly big or small.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 14:59 »
I have had some good ones this year.  I usually scatter wood ash from our log burner around them early in the year (about now actually)  This is one veggie that I managed to grow well in the UK as well.  They have quite thick shanks with a good length of white.  The dibbled holes must have been about 6 inches deep.
Now what shall I do today?

missmoneypenny

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 15:36 »
My musselburgh improved were handsome but alas affected by leek mite. So I have to dig the  maggots out before cleaning and processing for cooking. Nice!

Paul Plots

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 19:02 »
Mine were Musselburgh which I grow every year & which normally do really well, but the ones that went to seed were just a very tough flower stalk with a couple of leaves round it.  ............................Better luck next year.  (As my veg patch was covered in water for most of the summer, I think the only crop that would have been successful would have been rice!)

Watercress is an alternative  ;)

My musselburgh improved were handsome but alas affected by leek mite. So I have to dig the  maggots out before cleaning and processing for cooking. Nice!

Try dipping them in salty water for a while and any "leek mites" (?) that don't swim out will provide added protein.  :tongue2:

Seriously... "leek mite" Are they anything to do with the larva of the leek moth. I've not heard of a leek mite before.  :unsure:

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 11:27 »
I grew Almera and Bandit from seed. Usually they do well but this year's a washout - low, thin shafts more like oversized spring onions.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 12:08 »
I harvested the last of my autumn ones the other day.  With the cold snap coming I thought I had pushed my luck long enough.  They are slim-line, but perfectly OK to eat.

The winter ones are noticably smaller than last year and only had one bolt so far.  Once the autumn ones are eaten, will be digging them to try.  It was such a dull, cool summer, I think they just didn't get enough sunshine to put their usual growth on  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 13:25 »
I harvested the last of my autumn ones the other day.  With the cold snap coming I thought I had pushed my luck long enough.  They are slim-line, but perfectly OK to eat.

The winter ones are noticably smaller than last year and only had one bolt so far.  Once the autumn ones are eaten, will be digging them to try.  It was such a dull, cool summer, I think they just didn't get enough sunshine to put their usual growth on  ::)

I agree with you - luck of sunshine may well be the cause of many crops not being as good as other years. They certainly didn't go without water for long though did they?  ::)

xx
leeks

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 03:07
by leeky
question
leeks

Started by frederick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 16:08
by frederick
xx
Leeks

Started by Minty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 14:32
by Minty
xx
Not my leeks

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 07:39
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.748 seconds with 38 queries.