How were your leeks?

• 50 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: How were your leeks?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 05:15 »
Ours were planted further apart to try to reduce chances of rust - less rust but don't know if that is a coincidence.  They aren't as thick as last year but are acceptable and very tasty. 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 07:05 »
Best ever! They're 'Elefant', which is a new name for me, but they grew like the clappers, and we still have about 100 in the ground.

The largest are about 2" across, but some are thinner of course.

Recommended as they don't seem to be bolting - yet...

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47 »
Mine were ok, had some leek moth damage but not alot, i dug them all up and made batches of soup, now i wish i had left them in the ground.

Eblana

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:30 »
Lost all of mine (only 1 dozen planted) - they all went to seed in late October/early November.  I had bought them as plugs so this year will be raising my own from seed.

RichardA

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03 »
all good, in deeply dibbed holes, one or two just starting to go to seed now but otherwise good year -- agree the extra rain may have been a bonus for leeks and for celery
R

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 12:21 »
A bit of a late start with mine but they all managed to get to about 1.5 inch or thicker.

Springlands

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 13:44 »
A lot thinner than last year but not bad considering the awful summer that we had. They were just grown in the traditional way in dibbled holes.

willp

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 18:18 »
Mine were a bit thinner than last year but quite good quality wise.
Last years had an attack of allium leaf miner, but no sign this year. Seems to have been a bad year on the plot for most insect pests.

Will

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 20:37 »
Just a thought on the subject of thin leeks.

Mrs Growster religiously fed our leeks with liquid manure every Saturday morning during the growing season. Of course, they seem to collect the feed in the leaf folds, but they really did thrive, and perhaps this is a method to get the same result next year!

I know we will!

LilacSandy

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 20:42 »
Thin and weedy but a fairly good white shank.  I keep my toilet rolls for mine.  Will try a trench this year to see if that is better.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 20:47 »
Best ever! They're 'Elefant', which is a new name for me, but they grew like the clappers, and we still have about 100 in the ground.

The largest are about 2" across, but some are thinner of course.

Recommended as they don't seem to be bolting - yet...
Thanks for the tip Growster.  Mine are very thin (about 1.5cm) but I'm determined to get a small vat of leek & potato soup out of them.  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 21:03 »
Ours were planted further apart to try to reduce chances of rust - less rust but don't know if that is a coincidence.  They aren't as thick as last year but are acceptable and very tasty. 

I'd forgotten all about rust as this year I've seen almost no sign of it which makes a change.

I think cooler growing temperatures / less humidity may have been why.

Normally mine grow through it given the chance to stay put while other plotters locally give up and destroy their plants early on.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lottiman

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 21:06 »
My worst ever year for leeks,  but I must admit that I did not follow my usual pattern, normally sow my own seed early Musselburgh, then dibble them in nice and deep but last year I bought in plug plants longbow  :nowink: don't know why I did it  moment of madness, anyway they looked good then just turned to mush, to do with the weather or not I don't know. I did sow some Musselburgh late, we are eating them at the moment but they are very thin.  shall go back to tried and tested method this time. :D
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 21:10 »
Best I've ever grown in about 30 years of trying. All about 1.5 to 2" in diameter, no hint of any disease or pest and very few bolted which is a first. Only problem is that I grew too many so having to give many away - not really a problem as family and neighbours are grateful!  :happy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 21:11 »
My worst ever year for leeks,  but I must admit that I did not follow my usual pattern, normally sow my own seed early Musselburgh, then dibble them in nice and deep but last year I bought in plug plants longbow  :nowink: don't know why I did it  moment of madness, anyway they looked good then just turned to mush, to do with the weather or not I don't know. I did sow some Musselburgh late, we are eating them at the moment but they are very thin.  shall go back to tried and tested method this time. :D

Turning to mush might have been a result of the leek moth.... they can easily make a mess of a good row of leeks in next to no time.

xx
Help with leeks

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 07:29
by Kristen
xx
Leeks

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 23, 2016, 17:59
by AnneB
xx
Why dib in leeks?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 21:43
by DD.
xx
leeks

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 15:21
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.953 seconds with 37 queries.