Growing grapes outside...

• 8 Replies

dappy

Growing grapes outside...
« on: January 11, 2013, 22:21 »
I just wondered if anyone had successfully grown grapes purely externally? I imaging this only applies to those 'down south' but I fancy a challenge and wondered if there were any varieties you would recommend? I'm interested in both/either eating and wine varieties.

Thanks

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing grapes outside...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:26 »
Have a look at this link--http://www.growyourown.info/page74.html

allot2learn

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 22:48 »

SkyeEnt

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 22:54 »
I used to grow 'Boskoop glory' - a red eater outside in Solihull.  Grew well & fruited fine, but suffered badly from mildew.  I have a cutting from it here on Skye in my polytunnel and the fruit tastes much sweeter now; whether that's the extra warmth or lack of mildew I couldn't say.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:00 »
I have a large grape vine in a 2ft wide pot I always end up having to cut it back before the fruits get big so I've no idea if there any good.

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:24 »

You will probably stuggle to grow desert grapes outside in the UK. We just don't have the dry heat needed to sweeten them.

I've heard of people successfully growing wine grapes outside, even in northern areas. You can still use wine grapes for eating, they just arn't as sweet and the skins are usally thicker.

In years to come, when I have more time and a full (instead of half) plot, I fully intend to grow a row of wine grapes.

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28 »
We had a young vine in a deep pot in North Wales and had eight bunches of (rather sour) grapes in 2011, but none last year with all the rain.

There is a grape on a wooden fence on the side of the road which is donkeys years old, near Chester, and the grapes are plentiful and sweet. We used to grab some when we were riding past. And a pub we used to go to a lot on the border has a huge vine with masses of grapes every year, even last year. Both these are planted in the ground. So even this far north they can grow big over time.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 17:23 »
Have a look at www.viticulture.co.uk author has been successful in growing in the UK in the past. Check out the notes for beginners section.
 :)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 20:25 »
I grow a Madeleine Sylvaner dessert grape on a south western facing pergola overlooking the English Channel and the grapes are edible 5 years out of 6 since we started growing. he plant took three years to really produce anything substantial - so its been in place for 9 years.  The one year they weren't edible straight from the vine, we made grape jelly out of them.

After 9 years, it is very prolific and knarled.  However, I will say, I am going to try to master pruning the grapes as they tend to be a bit small with large pips which puts some off - but we love showing off in summer when we put out the cheese board and cut the grapes, to go with it, straight from the garden in front of the guests!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 20:26 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Growing grapes

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 21:29
by Jay Dubya
xx
growing grapes

Started by bricoop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 19:41
by bricoop
xx
growing grapes.....

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 22:32
by Trillium
question
anyone tried or is growing grapes outside

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 22:50
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.793 seconds with 37 queries.