Patio is driving me mad.

• 30 Replies

Lardman

Patio is driving me mad.
« on: January 05, 2013, 19:33 »
Like most things around here the patio was built by someone wearing a Stetson and spurs.

My original plan was raise the level another course of bricks, level off with sand and relay it properly.  After cleaning everything off, and checking the levels it was pretty obvious that wasn't going to be enough  :(

Plan B. Remove 1 of the step terraces which was 2 courses high, build up the first step to 6 courses and make it a dwarf wall. Back fill, level with sand and relay the patio. This gives me a chance to add some drainage and fix the fall.

Im having a mental block around the steps. I seem to remember the rule of thumb is 1 step for every 2 courses, anyone offer up suggestions for the rise / tread / construction materials etc.  The original terraces were done with blues and 450mm slabs on piers.

I'll grab some more pictures in the light tomorrow, but this should give you an idea.
yes_its_a_mess.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Patio is driving me mad.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 19:43 »
We have three steps out from the backdoor down onto the patio: 5 bricks in height.

Each riser is one and a bit bricks, topped with a slab.

Two bricks made each steps too tall, when the thickness of the slab was added, and we did not want four steps because then the flight would stick out too far onot the patio.

The ones then down from the patio to the garden are one brick rise each, topped with a tile 1.25cm thick, so are slightly shallower

Not sure if that helps or not.......
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 20:53 »
What's the total going  (the distance from the house to the end of the last step) ?

I'm almost tempted to remove the first step completely as its 3 courses high and put the steps off to right hand side rather than centrally...  it would give me another 18" between the house and the wall and save me having to tie in to the current brick work.   :blink:

Will have to lift one of the slabs to see what the 3 courses are build on (who knows it might be another gravel board). This was supposed to be an afternoon job and cost 8 quid.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 21:28 »
Cheers MoS.

Looks like I'll need 4ft in total or 3ft if I leave the first step as it is. I think that puts me 1/2 a slab back on the original position.  If I form the steps off to the right that should avoid cutting all but 1 slab.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:42 »
Here's a better view of how I left it yesterday.

2 sets of slabs lifted, and 1 step (2 courses built on top of the slabs) removed. Im not sure what purpose the gavel board was supposed to have or if it was just dumped out of the way.

Despite using class B's for the visible steps, all the structural stuff in contact with the ground is done with soft sand faced house bricks  :wacko:
no_better_today.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 17:37 »
For those who are interested ... I've restarted the work outside today, we're not forecast anything nasty weather wise for a few days with a bit of luck they'll be right.  :unsure:

I'm finding recycling these bricks very annoying, it really makes laying them time consuming and the end result is rather 'rustic', but it does save me having to dispose of them  :D One more course and I should be done, then backfill with the 2 drop sacks of rubble - so glad to be rid of those, they've been there 4 years  :wub: Compact the lot then think about relaying the patio ... where I should have been at the start of Jan  :nowink:
rebuilding.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 17:43 »
Rustic is good IMO  ;)

It'll all be better be better when it's finished  :lol:

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 17:55 »
You will feel great when it is all  done , especially when you bury those sacks of rubble! :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 22:17 »
You've done a lovely job Lardman!  I terrace-landscaped my whole garden a few years ago as it was a sloping lawn which was full of tree roots and a nightmare to mow.  

It took me a year of working every weekend (thankfully, it was a good summer that year!)  I got a great suntan, nice patio, but sadly a bad back for my efforts!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 22:52 »
You've done a lovely job Lardman!  I terrace-landscaped my whole garden a few years ago as it was a sloping lawn

Don't look too closely  ;)  It makes a change from the day job though  ::)  Im not sure which is worse, having to do it from scratch or having to rip up a badly done version and do it again properly.  :wacko:

... but sadly a bad back for my efforts!

You're not joking !! I can hardly move, it's clear the winter in front of the computer has resulted in a soft and doughy middle ! Much as I want those 2 cubic yards to rubble/stones gone I'm really not looking forward to moving them.  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 22:54 »
it's clear the winter in front of the computer has resulted in a soft and doughy middle !
so not just me then  ::)  :D

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 21:53 »
.. 4 Months later... Anyone want to see what my patio looks like now ?

I've been inspired (or should that be shamed) by Grannie's finished patio.  :blush:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 22:10 »
Ooh, yes please Lardman!  It's good to see a 'before' and 'after'.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 22:12 »
.. 4 Months later... Anyone want to see what my patio looks like now ?

I've been inspired (or should that be shamed) by Grannie's finished patio.  :blush:

The first photo has lots of room for rows of pots  :lol: vertical gardening lardman come on get with it  :lol:

xx
patio woe

Started by Elaine G on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 06:52
by Rangerkris
xx
laying a patio help please

Started by sclarke624 on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 19:51
by skywalker
xx
2 path/patio questions

Started by fisher on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 14:34
by arugula
xx
raised bed Growing on patio

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

29 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 16:15
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 29 queries.