patio woe

• 5 Replies

Elaine G

patio woe
« on: March 20, 2011, 22:17 »
We have a block paving patio which is about 10 years old.
Last year it seemed to have got very dirty, and hubby cleaned it with a jet washer. It took ages and he got absolutely filthy.
This year it is already black over large areas - mostly on the 'sunny' side. Hubby is very busy at work and does not have the time or the inclination to jet wash again. We are reluctant to use chemical cleaners as the patio slopes down to a small border and a pond.
So, any suggestions for cleaning it would be welcome. Is there an environmentally friendly cleaner?
Also would it be possible to put on a sealing coat to help it stay clean, or is it too old.
We have a big family party on Easter Sunday so need help!

Thanks
Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Fisherman

Re: patio woe
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 21:31 »
Hi Elaine
I have had a similar problem and am afraid the only solution I know of is to power wash the patio which can be very messy. However if your using a Karcher power washer you can get a patio cleaner which I think is called a T200 Racer. This reduces the time for cleaning and is a much cleaner operation. Not as powerful as a straightforward power washer so may need using a couple of times a year to keep on top of it.  Check your power washer type as they may not all be capable of using the patio cleaner.

Elaine G

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 23:20 »
Thanks Fisherman, I had a feeling it was going to be the hard way again.
Do you know if the patio cleaner would harm the plants or the wildlife in the pond? We have newts and I would hate to do anything to harm them.
When it gets light I will go and look what make our power washer is!

Elaine

savbo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:48 »
I think it's very likely that patio cleaner would be toxic to pond-life - almost everything apart from rain water is!

Some years ago (when i worked for a parks dept) we used a company who cleaned and sealed paviors with a plastic product, not cheap but good long-term results...

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 19:54 »
The Karcher T200 patio cleaner would be fine on the plant life and newts in the pond as it only use fresh tap water. They cost about £40 on Amazon so maybe worth investing in. Certainly reduces the time down by 75% ish as opposed to straightforward power washing.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:52 »
We clean our decking with a big old stiff broom and some fairy up liquid and lots of elbow grease, even the new petrol pressure washer (borrowed from work)didn't do as well as we thought it would.
Thanks
Kris

xx
laying a patio help please

Started by sclarke624 on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 19:51
by skywalker
angry
Patio is driving me mad.

Started by Lardman on Design and Construction

30 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 15:59
by GrannieAnnie
xx
raised bed Growing on patio

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

29 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 16:15
by prakash_mib
xx
2 path/patio questions

Started by fisher on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 14:34
by arugula

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.