Very poorly French grey

• 16 Replies

Mumoftwo

Very poorly French grey
« on: January 02, 2013, 18:08 »
Hi, advice and help if possible. I'll give you a lot of detail:
Approx 6 months old.
Not a great layer, smaller eggs, sometimes soft shell (think its her anyway!) no eggs for couple of weeks.
Her comb and wattle is dark, purple ish and not very big, not like the other hens (diff breeds). We had a French grey before and I think hers was also a different colour so that may be normal.
A week or so ago she came out of the run hiccuping. It stopped and she carried on foraging.
Yesterday morning she was hiccuping again & unsteady on her feet. She pecked about a bit and developed a limp in her left leg and kept stumbling. Caught her and she's messy round the bum feathers, her crop was not large but felt like had liquid in. Greyish liquid came out.
Kept checking on her and she took herself off to bed and stayed in all day.
Tried to catch her again and she couldn't walk. Her legs collapsed and her left foot is bent under and she's sort of stumbling on her wrist / ankle(?)
Expected her to have died overnight but she hadn't but was in the same state.
I've bought her indoors and she has eaten some warm mash with probiotic in and some potato.
Her poops are normal colour but small and possibly bit watery.
Her eyes are bright but she is lethargic.
There are no lumps I can feel around vent area.
Her crop is bigger than yesterday and still liquid feeling. I've massaged it a bit and she seems to enjoy that (or not?!).
I thought it might be sour crop but would that cause the weird foot thing?
Am truly panicking at all the  potential diseases. I've spoken to our vet who thinks its heart disease and should be euthanised . My local chicken expert thought might be an infection from a wild bird and recommended the probiotic and some other things.

I'm just waiting to see how she is in the morning but I wondered what your thoughts were?
Thank you!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Very poorly French grey
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 18:22 »
first of all check the sour crop info and here:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

Worm her and your other girls - if they haven't been wormed within the last month,

Try increasing her vitamin b intake - perhaps by using a mineral supplement in their water, lack of vitamin B can cause comb discolouration.
Staffies are softer than you think.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 18:24 »
There is a rather nasty thing called "Mareks" which once in the bird resurfaces at times of stress, ie illness, new home, moulting, brooding, coming into lay etc  - similar to us having chicken pox giving us the potential for shingles.

You bird is presumably just beginning her lay, plus it sounds as though she may have some sort of crop/digestive problem, both potential stressors.

Mareks does not stop them eating, but eventually they are unable to walk owing to one-sided paralysis.  Hope it is not this, as unfortunately there is no cure.  Have a "google" around and see if you think the symptoms fit.  Sometimes they can hurt their leg jumping down from something high, or get bumblefoot etc so don't get too alarmed, its just that it is as well to be aware of the potential problems

By the way - what is a French Grey?  It is something I have never heard of.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Mumoftwo

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 18:39 »
Thank you. Yes maresk was into mind as have been googling all day!
I just went and checked her and refreshed her food and she was standing on the foot normally but promptly fisted it again when I put my hand in the cage. I just don't know!

Silvery grey feathers and dark grey legs. She's my prettiest girl!

I'll keep everything crossed that she magically recovers in the night!

Mumoftwo

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 20:55 »
Husband has just emptied her crop. Quite a lot of gunk came out (all over him). But I'm now hysterical as didn't want him to do it.  You can't normally hear a chicken breathe can you?

Mumoftwo

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21 »
No change this morning  :(

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:26 »
have you read up about sour crop and it's treatment?
You have made no mention about trying for this apart from draining her crop - also ask your vet for an anti-fungal treatment for it. Nystatin or similar.

Mumoftwo

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07 »
I did but I'm not convinced its just that. Would sour crop make her scrunch her toes up? Am off to get all the necessary this morning. Natural yoghurt, vitamin drink and will go to vet to get the n nystatin as suggested. Thank you so much for your help. Wish I had you or someone close by to tell me what's wrong. It's made me realise how little I know about caring for hens other than everyday stuff!

Mumoftwo

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:10 »
Oh and she's turning her beak up at the mash but has wolfed down some meal worms and some cooked rice. Poos normal so something must be going through. Trying to feel hopeful as kids very upset today x

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27 »
check the pads under her foot - see if there is anything stuck in them or between them.
She could have more than 1 problem. Just because mareks has been mentioned do not automatically think this is the problem (it may be but also explore other avenues), Mareks isn't as common as you may think - I have only known of 2 confirmed cases of it on here.

Mumoftwo

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 11:42 »
Feet are ok. Both tucked under her now but toes curled under. Is eating rice still. Vet wouldn't give me anything so have appt at 3 to take her. Fingers crossed!

helens-hens

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 11:54 »
Just tried to post a message once but my browser is playing up so if it appears twice accept my apologies!

Just wanted to say that I have had a couple of months of dealing with unwell hens & I understand all the worry & feelings of helplessness that can bring.

Whatever the outcome remember that you are doing the right & responsible thing by taking her to the vet. Will keep everything crossed for you & your hen - let us know how you get on.
Helen

Mumoftwo

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 16:37 »
She's gone. : (
The vet said its either heart failure or a neurological disorder. Both her feet were fisted and she was toppling forward onto her face. We didn't bring her home. The kids were brave and I wasn't!
Poor Sylvie, such a short little life but I hope she enjoyed it.
Thanks for all your advice.
Relieved it wasn't a contagious disease so my other girls and boy should be ok.
Stiff drink tonight I think &  break the vet bill to my husband!

Beano

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 16:41 »
How sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. You did your best and ultimately did the right thing by her.
El.

helens-hens

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 16:44 »
Really sorry to hear about Sylvie  :(. I wasn't very brave when a hen of mine was PTS 3 weeks ago (asked for alternative way out of vets, avoiding the reception area, tears etc etc ......  :blush:).

I am sure you gave her a great life and then did what had to be done when this happened.

All the best & thinking of you.

xx
off lay and grey

Started by lilli on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 14:42
by lilli
xx
Grey squirrels

Started by parson on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 16:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Do old hens go grey?

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:21
by OpiumEater
xx
Scots Grey breed question.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 12:27
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 38 queries.