What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2325 on: September 21, 2013, 18:50 »
had a lovely time that's wot I did. Got there later than intended as the weather wasn't up to much this morning, finally finished digging the bed with last years spuds in. I know I know that's not good practice, but I never intended it to be like that. When i tried to dig them up last year there was absolutely nothing there,didn't matter where I dug, then this year they started to grow,so hubby strimmed them down when I wasn't well to finish them off. Well they just went mad & grew loads of top growth,so I dug & founds loads of spuds & tried them & they were fine. So I've just finished the bed & got up 14lbs from 2 x 5ft rows. Had a couple of sits & a cuppa. Met my new neighbour & informed him the shed didn't go with the plot as I had just heard from Ben, having put a note through his door as another plotter had told me she'd missed out on a £50 at been & queued & I told her Ben was giving up but trying to negotiate with the powers to get his £50 deposit back if he left the shed,then y hubby had said why didn't I have it as it's 6x 8. She said she'd have mine as she's only got a small 1/2 plot,Ben had left me a message just this morning agreeing & I was just sat pondering where to site it when new N turned up,how strange is that. Did you follow all that? Picked a mix of beans & came home tired but happy,did feel a bit sorry for N though I bet he was thrilled to get a shed on his plot.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jmc1949

« Reply #2326 on: September 21, 2013, 19:01 »
I think I followed all that Snowdrop :D

Anyway, I had a lovely time too. Dug over and weeded two raised beds on plot 1. Dug a 4x3 ft area and put a small raised bed in place on plot 2. Then started work on the pathway, put down weed suppressant and woodchippings.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2327 on: September 21, 2013, 20:01 »
Phew Snowdrop!

Picked lots of stuff, its wonderful, still loads of beans, but the cucumber tide is slowing at last.
Anne

chillimummy

« Reply #2328 on: September 21, 2013, 21:12 »
went tp plot yesterday and dug up loads of king Edward potatoes. Only two rows left to dig up!
weeded everywhere. picked handful of blackberries and raspberries.
Moved leaves away from some of pumpkins to ripen hopefully.
Made pile of potatoe foliage and other stuff to burn.
Had chat with allotment friend.
Sat on bench and admired allotment!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2329 on: September 22, 2013, 07:24 »
Went to the plot yesterday to dig up all the plants that had run their course. Bit sad actually as the plot is looking a bit bare now. Can't get my onions & garlic in til next weekend or even the weekend after due to work.

Oh, and I almost forgot - got attacked by a swarm of wasps and got stung on my head after I accidentally trod on their nest.   >:(  :lol:

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

ptarmigan

« Reply #2330 on: September 22, 2013, 09:17 »
Roped in husband to collect seaweed.(Asked first and only took old washed up stuff from top of beach). 2 car loads which covered about 6 beds thickly including the asparagus bed. Roll on next year which will be the first year to cut asparagus.

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #2331 on: September 22, 2013, 11:19 »
I hadn't been down the plot for 2 weeks due to working away so went and had a tidy up. Dug up the row of Maris Pipers that I had in. I took 3 hesian sacks with me for the harvest but ended up filling a bucket! Very dissapointing as my Charlottes we excellent. I dug over the whole spud area so that looks a lot tidier. I gave my swedes a bit of a weeding and earthed the tops up a bit. Pulled out the bamboo canes from the french beans/mangetout. I picked a couple of mutant courgettes the size of a cavemans club, a couple of giant gherkins and a huge marrow. Plot is looking a bit tired now. I hzve 1 pumpkin doing really well - an Atlantic Giant, must be 2 foot across and looking really healthy. I have had 3 of them get to the size of a football and suddenly go rotten. All I can think is that they were sitting on weed suppresant matting, so possibly couldn't breathe and/or got too wet.

AnneB

« Reply #2332 on: September 22, 2013, 16:48 »
Today was our association community clean up day.   We had not a bad turn out, 9 of us, and think we have signed up 3 new members, well we gave them the forms and they sounded positive. We cut the hedges, mowed the lawns, emptied the broken glass bins and turned the giant compost bins on the association plot.  The site looks lovely.

Then we had bacon, egg and sausage butties, with added tomato and courgette.  We deserved it after all that effort.

Took some pics of the unworked plot to send to the Council.  We have a waiting list who deserve a go at a plot ahead of people who have done nothing since they got the plot in April apart from pinch stuff from other people!

Then planted my overwintering onions, Electric and Radar.   Picked a lettuce and two yummy cobs of sweetcorn that we have eaten already.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2333 on: September 22, 2013, 17:13 »
Raked and levelled and threw some fertilizer on the old broad bean bed prior to planting my onion sets (radar).
Picked more runners, more tomatoes and another cucumber. :) And the two spaghetti squashes.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2334 on: September 22, 2013, 17:47 »
Garlic went in along with three gooseberry bushes. Few more weeds died and the sweetcorn was shredded and composted and a tip run was done with all the weeds from this week.

Also i picked up hubby some bare root cabbage plants he was so GUTTED when mr badger trashed the bed (NOT) that i didnt want him to miss out  :lol: his face was a picture it was worth the few pounds just to see the appreciation.  :lol:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2335 on: September 22, 2013, 17:50 »
Planted garlic pink thermidor ,elephant garlic and over wintering onions radar  :)
I cook therefore I grow

diospyros

« Reply #2336 on: September 22, 2013, 18:28 »
Another rare day when I can claim to have done something "on the plot" even though I haven't got one yet... I've been doing something that will end up on the plot, so it counts... I mended (!) reinforced and started painting my new (hence the !) cold frame.

Also went down the garden centre and got from the "reduced" shelf three asparagus plants, a tayberry and a raspberry and made the boys wee into a watering can to get a quick late boost for them!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2337 on: September 22, 2013, 18:31 »
Weeded, weeded and weeded again. Cleared Tomatoes, Corn & Kale. Collected more dried runner beans. Tried to avoid getting sunburnt.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2338 on: September 22, 2013, 19:30 »
Weeded, weeded and weeded again. Cleared Tomatoes, Corn & Kale. Collected more dried runner beans. Tried to avoid getting sunburnt.
Avoid getting sunburnt we haven't seen it  :ohmy:

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2339 on: September 22, 2013, 19:35 »
Spent the morning converting plum tomatoes into tomato sauce.
This afternoon Dug up my wind damaged Jerusalem artichoke - decent but small crop!
Cleared some ex onion/potato beds and put weed control fabric down. Dug in rotted manure first. Collected some more Desiree spuds - great crop. Picked more plum tomatoes. Enjoyed the sunshine and chatted to the neighbours.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 32 queries.