What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2013, 18:51 »
Another two hours of digging at a soil pile that was grass last year that has excellently turned into great compost.
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

jivebunny

« Reply #226 on: February 05, 2013, 13:17 »
Dismantaled my cold frame today as some of the wood rotted away, l hope to put it back together before the spring, as want to grow some tomatoes in their . Turned over some of the ground ready to sow parsnips.  ::)

cen1974

« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2013, 13:33 »
Not been to plot 32 for about six weeks!  The pleasures of helping your Mum fix her house and then move.

I was finally back there on Sunday.  It's not looking too bad.  A few weak looking weeds in the beds but a good tidy up is all it needs.  The greenhouse, however, was a mess.  I'm ashamed to say I didn't tidy it out at the end of last season so started on that.  Also because of the wet and cold weather!  Looking much better now.  Last year I planted tomatoes and cucumbers on grow bags.  The cucumbers did well but the tomatoes failed miserably.  Mainly because of the weather I think.  This year I am going to save my money and put them in the ground, with a few grow bags for comparison.  I'll let you all know how I get on.

Jim the builder

« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2013, 16:08 »
Snows back so didnt bother today, try again thursday!

JaneF

• Where there's muck there's veg.
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2013, 17:54 »
Emptied another dump bag of topsoil into a new bed ready for the asparagus when they arrive. Trimmed up the lanscaping fabric, checked on my shallots in the shed waiting to do their thang, then scuttled in for lunch as too cold and windy today.

Jane F.

Gandan57

« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2013, 21:28 »
A first for me today, lifting the remainder of last year`s maincrop potatoes and planting a few Vanessa first earlies on the same day!

Had to make the most of the strong winds recently that have dried the ground nicely.

Aquadulce broad beans planted on 18th November were up by the end of the year and are looking well. 

I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2013, 14:10 »
hadnt been to lottie for a couple weeks due to the weather. Popped over to drop off some bags.

3 big bags of multi purpose and 4 bags of clavering horse manure so hopefully wont have to keep worrying about getting any fresh stuff delivered

had a bit of a surprise when i saw the shed though, i think the weather gods are telling me its time for an upgrade. quite a few boards missing now and the roof is barely attached, so ill have to stop dithering and just order a new one

ill be heading back later with my 7 yr old nephew straight from school. He is very excited bout the little corner ive set aside for him (he wont shut up about having his own garden  :D!) , hopefully we will be constructing his raised veg bed!

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2013, 16:03 »
nuffin!  too cold and windy (again)  Been shopping and then water-colour painting instead ::)
Now what shall I do today?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2013, 17:38 »
More barrow loads of wood chips.  Turned one compost heap and added the pony manure that I got back in October to it, I've been meaning to do it for ages.
The pig muck which I didn't know what to do with six months ago, when I put my first post on this forum, is at the bottom of the bin and looks to have gone down to crumbly stuff quite nicely, and looks ready to put straight on to the garden.
Anne

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2013, 17:42 »

More weeding and tidying up the plot .Pulled up some Autumn Rasps (growing outside the

area i want them in )and moved further up .

Pulled up a load of nettles ,put in the perennial weed compost bin.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21 »
not a stitch on the plot, its still to wet, just as i think the soil is drying up a bit we get another bout of rain :mad: but got my potatoes today and they are on a cold window sill as we speak :) Charlotte salads, and cara for mains.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2013, 11:17 »
Removed the last of last years grass pile, now excellent compost onto the plot gives me space to plant some rhubarb and position the cold frame

grendel

« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2013, 13:50 »
not been to the plot but have fitted a new front door, last night and this morning.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

jmc1949

« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2013, 15:59 »
Dug over three quarters of the bed which will have runners beans and cut flowers. A few bits of couch grass was starting to come up in the strawberry bed despite the cold weather, so weeded it and mulched it with well rotted manure.

jivebunny

« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2013, 16:13 »
 Not been to my plot today. bought some seed trays and some Seed compost to sow seeds Indoors. Not sure When ill be able to go to the plot next weather forecasts not good for the next few days. >:(

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 36 queries.