What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1275 on: May 24, 2013, 20:55 »
To make up for the fact I didn't get back up, I did some more sowing hehe hubby has now hidden the modules and said no more. Our two plots are full, but dad has a plot too.

I think I may have over done the cabbage, French beans, runners, etc etc etc hehe

Nothing ventured nothing gained  :lol:

Headgardener22

« Reply #1276 on: May 24, 2013, 21:10 »
Potted up the cucumbers into their final pots in the greenhouse. Their going away well - about 18 inches tall and looking good :D.

Too cold for the allotment today. The weekend's supposed to be better. Ever hopeful!

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1277 on: May 24, 2013, 23:31 »
Hand weeded along the onion/shallot rows - keeping the hoe well away from the produce so there was no other choice!
And watered the plot as it has been cool but dry and sunny up here in the North-West. Noted second earlies peeping out as well!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1278 on: May 25, 2013, 13:22 »
Weeded again, fleeced the pumpkin and squash bed. Not sure whybas today is roasting hot.  :wacko:

Filled the water butts and refilled the comfrey tea.

Weeded a bit more. Put lettuce in tunnel to replace the ones we have eaten.

Got given 24 Brussel plants  :blink: where on earth are they going. Someone else gave me four harlequin squash seeds, now in pots.

Gave raspberries some Epsom salts. Now hubby have taken over and has gone up to rotavate dads corner.

I am panicking slightly as we have no room and both cold frames are full to bursting, there are six modules out along the wall. Plus two gooseberries desperate to go in. Arrrggghhhh where on earth, I think I over did this seed lark.  :mad:

miggs

« Reply #1279 on: May 25, 2013, 16:53 »
Weeding, Weeding, Weeding, Weeding, you get the picture. :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1280 on: May 25, 2013, 17:34 »
Weeded the broad beans and put in canes for to support them The flowers smell gorgeous when your head is down amongst them  :D

Planted out some hollyhocks, transplanted some of the godetia seedlings and watered the mini tunnel and giant cloche. Planted out the morning glory seedlings alongside the runner beans - hoping for a good show from them

Brought some more asparagus home, and the first of the pointy cabbages.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1281 on: May 25, 2013, 18:26 »
A gorgeous afternoon - I ended up stripping off my layers and working in a vest top! I was scared to see if my sweetcorn had survived the week but was pleased to see they are thriving. I have lost 2 which I thought were going a bit dodgy with yellow leaves so all in all pleased I put them out last week! Put the celariac out, planted some more parsnip seeds (the others have had 5 weeks with no show) and inspected the bed where carrots and spring onions were sowed a month ago - still no show so I am giving them until the end of the week before I re-sow!

Did some more digging up of nettles at the back - almost cleared the whole half-plot now which I am eased about. Looks like I might be able to make a start on the other half and get a fruit cage in by autumn after all!

It is half term this week so I will be down there almost every day hopefully and get lots done!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1282 on: May 25, 2013, 18:58 »
Hubby did a super job of rotavating dads corner that was ready and it's at last level, dads plot is the most uneven, lumpy plot I have ever seen. It has trenches and sand dunes and is treacherous to walk on.

So we have a bit more space to plant on now.
Hubby is off again in a moment to put in Brussels and water raspberries etc

It's been such a good day to catch up.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1283 on: May 25, 2013, 19:26 »
There are some flowers on the strawberries so I put the hoops up, preparatory to netting the beds. Not letting those blackbirds have a single one, if I can help it. ;) Absolutely gorgeous day.  Put lots of perennials in
only another 55 to go.
Anne

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1284 on: May 25, 2013, 19:44 »
Watered plants in polytunnel and put all sweetcorn plants outside to finish hardening off as I won't be putting them back inside anymore!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1285 on: May 25, 2013, 20:18 »
Battled the chickweed! It had swallowed: 4 x 6m rows of Garlic, 2 x 6m beds of Asparagus & 6 x 6m rows of onions. Garlic and Asparagus rescued today, Onions to follow (along with the rest of the plot.).

snowdrops

« Reply #1286 on: May 25, 2013, 20:42 »
Well at long last I've been well enough to contribute to this thread again. On the way back from a walk to my son's I went via the allotment & got the swoe out & hoed the garlic,in between the 2 rows of peas & then in between the rows of parsnips & then the rest of the bed in between both the previous sowings. Boy did it feel back to do a bit after 3 weeks. I've been for a walk there but was on strict instructions not to do anything.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1287 on: May 25, 2013, 20:43 »
Despite it being a gorgeous day, spent most of it indoors waiting for Amazon to deliver o/h's new toy of a petrol strimmer. Made good use of the time though and made 28 of Aelf's Strawberry plant out of 4 pint milk containers.
When we did make it over the plot, hubby enjoyed playing with his new toy, and I planted up and then hung out a load of strawberries :-)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1288 on: May 25, 2013, 21:01 »
Made a no-dig potato bed (wet newspapers/muck) over the couch grass along the side edge of the plot as there is no way I can dig it all up this year and Homebase were selling a bag of seed spuds reduced to 50p!  If it doesn't work I'll at least have lovely soil for next season. 

Found some hidden strawbs and cultivated blackberrys in the long grass when I cut it down.  My friend down the plot gifted me a wonderful plastic wheelbarrow.  And it was sunny.  Happy days

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1289 on: May 25, 2013, 21:18 »
Didn't get to our plot today - I spent a lovely afternoon planting seeds in the sunshine.  Once I started, couldn't stop.  More fast growing hispi and calabrese 'sakura'.  A whole tray full of various squash ( ;) Auntie M) more toms, cukes, potted on lovely cucumber plants to their final growing place. And then lots of flowers grown from seed into pots too.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

67 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 20:20
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.824 seconds with 37 queries.