What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1305 on: May 26, 2013, 21:07 »
Wow - what a day! Been on the go since 9am and only just finished (if you ignore the 2 hours we took off to watch the Grand Prix). Day started to visits to local garden centres for plants and compost. Then I potted up the toms, chilli's and cucumbers for the greenhouse. O/h dug over the final new bed on the plot, then I planted out the runners... they haven't been hardened off, so no idea how well they will do (or not), then collected some old tyres from my parents, and finally potted up yet more strawberries.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1306 on: May 26, 2013, 21:53 »
Actually got to the plot today - free time and no rain!

Planted french climbing and a few runner beans, put out some lettuce, more onions... late but they might make it.

Was given some kale, brocolli and cabbage plants by a neighbour who refused to take anything for them - I wanted to contribute to their seed pot for next year. Very kind of them to help me out.

I hoed and watered and shot off to do the dinner..... now off for the bed-time session.
It's all go but a lovely day - still feeling warm from the sun.  :happy:

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lardman

« Reply #1307 on: May 26, 2013, 21:55 »
I have carefully calculated that I need 2 cuke plants to provide me with more than enough cukes. So today I sowed 12.  ;)  3 plants of 4 varieties - this year Im taking no chances.

Running late again this year - Runners sown in pots as I still need to prepare the bed. Toms out in the greenhouse sandpit border. Pulled up some JA's and some bindweed Id missed in the raspberry bed, I expect both will be back. Emptied ½ a darlek under my new totally over engineered trellis which will be my vertical squash bed.

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1308 on: May 26, 2013, 22:04 »
First time I've been for a week as the weather has been so awful.
After the very heavy downpour on Friday, could not believe that the ground was actually quite dry.
Must water tomorrow, no water on site :(
Harvested some radishes to go in salad for tea. Yum
Weeded A LOT, blooming bindweed
Been advised by a fellow plot holder to get rid of my grass walkways. I only have a quarter plot, so I suppose he is right that I am losing a lot of planting space and making more work for myself keeping them tidy.
So.......today I started digging, just a little at a time, getting rid of the grass inch by inch.
tired now
Mrswashi :D

Ginfiz

« Reply #1309 on: May 26, 2013, 22:32 »
Spent yesterday digging out volunteer potatoes (actually potatoes that have regrown cos hubs planted too deep in out heavy clay ground and we couldnt get them out before winter !  :lol: 
Today we were weeding the rest of the plot,and boy some of those weeds were monsters! had the cricket commentary going and hubs was in his element. :tongue2:
I also planted some red and yellow capsicum seeds to see if i can get them going.
Tomorrow - more weeding, putting up a wigwam and planting out some french beans, hoping for a fine day
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

AnneB

« Reply #1310 on: May 27, 2013, 08:53 »
Weeding, planted out runner beans (The Czar and Prizewinner),  French climbing beans (Blue Coco and Cherokee Trail of Tears) and climbing Borlotti beans.   Picked some more PSB which is still going strong.  Earthed up the spuds.  MrB sifted soil for the final raised bed.

wendyg

« Reply #1311 on: May 27, 2013, 09:21 »
Well, yesterday.  Put in some mange tout and broad bean plants I sowed in toilet tubes, the peas haven't germinated either in the tubes or on the plot?  Went to water them in and found that some so and so has broken the ibc tank tap, the valve doesn't open when you turn the handle.  Half the water has gone (it was full) and there's a depression where the water had gushed out.   I think that the tap was opened fully and broke when they closed it.  Makes me mad >:(.
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1312 on: May 27, 2013, 12:15 »
Early start this morning as I am out this afternoon. Planted out my courgettes and half my winters squash - going to give the other half a few more days to harden off as they are small.

Put up domed pipeing rigged netting over the strawberries as some have started to turn into berries already! I then began to clear some of my jungle section... It is 2m wide and the length of the plot (25m or so) and never been cultivated....

Auntiemogs

« Reply #1313 on: May 27, 2013, 12:28 »
Plenty of nettles for feed though RJR!  ::)
Yesterday, planted out my leeks.  Was going to wait a while (hopefully until the onions came out) but managed to squeeze about 70 into a small raised bed with the garlic then gave the rest away on Freecycle.  Must get myself one of those spade handle thingies, kept getting my large dibber stuck!  :) 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1314 on: May 27, 2013, 17:57 »
Oh yes! I have put 2 barrow loads in m compost heap today and I need to get hold of something to make feed in that wont cost me a fortune....

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1315 on: May 27, 2013, 18:00 »
Planted out 10 red cabbages and about 12 runner beans
WP_000210.jpg
Anne

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1316 on: May 27, 2013, 18:00 »
Well, having got this new plot at a late time of year I've frantically planted: runner beans, borlotti beans, French beans, one corgette plant, 4 lettuces and a load of potatoes.

Also sowed: carrots, beet root, parsnips, peas, radish, lettuce, cucumber, basil, parsley, chives and something called scorzonera Russian giant because I like the name.

Weeded, pruned and generally tidied up.

My back aches.

Edit: oh and peas, lots of peas.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 18:03 by Jake »
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1317 on: May 27, 2013, 18:36 »
Didn't get much done
Pinned up all the association posters  ::) next meeting, association picnic, notice telling people the water butts are only for use by poly tunnel members the usual junk.

Popped pop bottles on a few sweetcorn, saw all the neighbours to raid their recycling bins hehe no one drinks pop around here.

Hubby marked out dads paths and planted two gooseberry bushes, also put up the longest bean frame on the planet. At the rate my runners are doing it may well stay empty.  :wacko:

Hubby then did some digging on dads plot.
Didn't water but it's desperate for rain, I am giving it 24 hours or the hose comes out.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1318 on: May 27, 2013, 19:56 »
A bit of weeding and watered the salad seedlings.
In the greenhouse, at home, I squeezed  a couple of 'spare' pepper plants into the borders. Took ages watering everything with the watering can, cos the hose has sprung a leak  :(

It's s'posed to be 10C or above for the next 5-6 days so don't have to shuffle everything back inside tonight Woo Hoo  :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1319 on: May 27, 2013, 19:59 »
'I'd like to go to see Crystal Palace at Wembly in the playoffs' said Mr Pigguns a few weeks ago 'but it's £50 quid a ticket and on bank hol Monday....' oh go, I said generously   ;)

Hahaha.  Dropped him at station, and got down at 10am got the dwarf yellow french bean plants in, some purple beans seeds planted, more lettuces from home and netted the whole lot.  Mulched the Gooseburys/currents, dug big pits of compost for the courgettes and plonked them through the plastic.  Then had to build a 'couch grass clod fort' around them as it was so windy!  and there's plenty of building material around  :nowink:  Had a sit back and a can.

Popped home to sort out teenagers since they were unable to get themselves sarnies apparently  ::)
Dug over new perennial bed, found yet more horse radish, got the asparagus in.
Just about to go home and thought I'll dig that massive weedy grassy couch clump out and found....a huge lump of  fennel!!!! lurking.  I love fennel but my seeds are still just babies.  I've since read for bulbs they are a short day plant.  I'll sow direct in July.
And Place won so everyones happy.  Well apart from the other team. 

IMG00066 (2).jpg

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 38 queries.