What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1140 on: May 11, 2013, 00:50 »
I got there - that was a good start!

I plonked in:
  • 4 short rows of gladioli (25 in a row). Can't be eaten I know but it'll be something to bring home to brighten up the place.
  • 2 short rows of shallots all green and sprouting

Ignoring the fact that I should have been home, to eat before starting my usual evening routine/shift, I hoed up three 30' rows of potatoes to disuade the weeds from growing on my neat earth mounds then belted around with a "soil miller" slicing through the developing emerald carpet of weed seeds that are germinating.

A pleasant and unexpected great escape to the plot to make up for no spare time during the day.  :happy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1141 on: May 11, 2013, 10:36 »
Ouch I ache, lol decided to go to the plit at 6.30am this morning and not long been back in. The bonus was it was quiet.  :D weeded weeded and weeded. Hoe'd every single bed and removed the grass from all the edges. (council are late strimming and doesn't it show.

Broke up the soil in both bean beds as it was lumpier than hubby's custard. Picked comfrey for comfrey tea.
Did some more weeding, removed some stray spuds  :blink: did some more weeding, every time I turned around I swear they were growing behind me, it was like doc who and those weeping angels.  :mad:

Watered the poly, picked out a lettuce for tea and one beetroot, I was hoping there would be more but no just one lol

Came home with four buckets of weeds and two broken mushroom trays that need to be ditched.

AnneB

« Reply #1142 on: May 11, 2013, 11:46 »
Picked some PSB.  Earthed up the potatoes, 1st earlies showing through.  Did a spot of weeding, then it started raining so came home.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1143 on: May 11, 2013, 18:29 »
Sowed some sweetcorn and beans, tidied the greenhouse and that was it as I had a 3.5 hour appointment at the hairdressers to get the grey banished and the red / copper highlights put back in!  :blush:
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1144 on: May 11, 2013, 19:39 »
Second earthing up of potatoes

Planted out the sweetcorn and constructed a debris netting windbreak for them -- it is blowing a gale

Planted out French beans (ditto re the windbreak) and the first lot of runner beans --- windbreak construction failure so hope they survive

Two rows of gladioli, but more to plant ... had to bring them home again as can't see where to put them yet

Pulled up some French breakfast radishes, and cut a huge bunch of asparagus for tonight's dinner  :D :D :D :D :D  Best we have ever had -- third year for the bed, planted two year old crowns mmmmmmm  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1145 on: May 11, 2013, 20:12 »
Hubby has just dug in a blue water tub with lid for comfrey tea. We have to dig them in slightly as the slope is a nightmare. How do I know this when he isn't home yet, he texted me a pic. Haha yes he sent me a photo of a blue water tub  :lol:

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #1146 on: May 11, 2013, 20:38 »
I just popped down there today to see what the rain and sunshine over the past week had done.  It was great, everything has taken off and grown rapidly (including the weeds).  Did a bit of weeding and checked the compost heap, smells rotty so that's good.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

blackberryjam

« Reply #1147 on: May 11, 2013, 21:03 »
Just popped in to check on the seedlings in the greenhouse and water them. All vegetables outside look better now that they have had a good soaking, looks like the weeds have enjoyed it as well.  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1148 on: May 11, 2013, 21:48 »
Earthed (composted) up the bagged spuds in the back garden.
In the greenhouse: transplanted 'Ironman' Broccoli, African Marigolds and 3 types of lettuce.

Fed leeks and left them alone! ;) :D

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1149 on: May 11, 2013, 22:03 »
I started my day dancing with glee when I saw my asparagus spears appearing (planted in April this year).

I prepared and covered a fruit bed with weed suppressant.  I plan to plant through this tomorrow with a two pear espaliers, a dual apple and a cherry tree.  I will then underplant with blackcurrants and strawberries.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #1150 on: May 11, 2013, 23:47 »
Did some general tidying up and weeding. Ended up making a path with spare slabs and gravel betweeb the 2 beds I weeded! :blink:

Mrs_Moons

• There's only one way of life, and that's your own.
« Reply #1151 on: May 12, 2013, 10:56 »
I'm hoping to get down today, inbetween ironing, washing, cooking, making rhubarb jam! :blink:

But yesterday I planted out some greenhouse grown sweetpeas on a wigwam,
Sowed some runners outdoors,
Picked my first baby leaf spinach of the year 8)
Picked some rhubarb
Sowed some more peas
fretted over whether to plant out the young sweetcorn - it's about 6 inches high and so many panes in the greenhouse got broken in the recent winds that it's surely hardened off  :lol:
Dug up old rapsberry canes which I think are diseased.
If all else fails, there's always cake.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1152 on: May 12, 2013, 11:02 »
We have only made it up to bring the wheelbarrow back down, we are moving our garden compost bin up the hill, the contents are now baggd but oh my they are ripe.  :nowink: they won't be long before it's ready to use but it needs a couple of weeks yet.

Hubby was going to take it up in my car till i smelt it, now he'll be walking with the barrow.

blackberryjam

« Reply #1153 on: May 12, 2013, 12:21 »
Just got back from lottie pulled heads off the dandelions, used the nematodes around vegtables and gooseberry bush. Fed the plants in the greenhouse,having a cup of tea  then I'm of to work until 7pm.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #1154 on: May 12, 2013, 14:07 »
Phew - up at 6, down the lotties by 7:30am... I:
- earthed up earlies
- built a frame out of wooden sticks for beans - quite impressed actually, it looks like it might stay up
- planted runner & broad beans
- chicken wire around the beans
-chicken wire around the maincrop potatoes
- had a cup of tea
- one of the Johns (there are three) gave me a pea stand so I planted some peas - need to protect any early shoots
- dug for another 2 hours. Halfway through a small mountain of brambles and nettles - lovely spoil though
- got some horse muck from the farm
- had a cup of tea
- introduced myself to a new neighbour
- OH came with the kids and they did a bit of 'helping' OH did a bit of 'watching' and 'advising' :lol:

I'm bushed!!! Home now and trating myself to a small glass of wine whist doing dinner.

My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 1.243 seconds with 37 queries.