What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2013, 15:47 »
Went down to dump my bucket of kitchen waste on the compost heap.  I noticed lots of small seedlings in the bottom of the bucket from some old seeds I threw out.  They were looking better than the ones in the seed trays. >:(

Too cold and soil too wet to do anything.
Anne

Yana

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2013, 19:12 »
Went early this morning after loading my son-in-laws truck with compost I'd bagged from home.
NOTE TO SELF - must get a truck!  8)
Covered two raised beds with compost and one with manure from the lottie. Tucked them up nicely for the winter and as was due to rain this morning, felt I had gotten a lot done. Cleared the last of the cabbages (haven't grown since October), dug some parsnips to go in a stew tonight for tea and back home by 11am.
Rain eventually came on at 5pm! I could have stayed longer and progressed with digging / weeding of new half plot. About 1/3 left to do.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

dmg

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2013, 21:11 »
We had a  work party to build some communial bins for manure etc. 4 of us building them and 4 opinions how it should be down. They were then kind enough to help me set up the posts for the fruit trees to be trained against.

dmg

Havengore

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2013, 21:36 »
Freezing cold today, but dry enough to do some much needed digging.  Burned some plum tree cuttings to keep the cold at bay.  Playing catch-up, but getting back on track.

sion01

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2013, 21:46 »
Riddled about 20 wheelbarrows full of lovely compost from the heap.Almost looked too good to put on the garden.Arms are really stiff now,I think i've earned that scrumpy in the fridge

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2013, 22:04 »
Popped to garden centre for some seedling compost and some blood fish and bone, and there was a 50 % reduction sale on  :ohmy: after litterally running past the seeds aisle and the propagater s and the seed potatoes I thought I was in the clear - then I saw the fruit trees all in the sale too ! Will power went into overdrive and I didn't leave with anything extra! Phew!

Then straight to lottie, cleaned all my pots, got the mould off my decking cleaned all my tools, sharpened my pruning knife, put down some glysophate, dug up a few more buckets of couch grass and then just as I was thinking how much I was getting through ..... It started snowing!

So Home again home again jiggedy jig :)

Mum2six

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2013, 22:44 »
I read through the first 6 pages here, and then walked down to check on the garlic that I planted on Monday.  Took lots of pics and shivered for 30 minutes while trying to figure out what to do with the mess.  Hmmm, i need to post a "help" request.

Ema

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2013, 12:32 »
It's a lovely clear crisp day here. I've just done a check on all the plants in my garden which are sat waiting for my new plot. Everything looks good garlic in modules are about 10 inch high I didn't expect them to grow so quickly! The currant bushes have grown small buds even the red current I got from freecycle I just hope this cold patch doesn't harm them. The rhubarb crowns have got a few stems on them too :)

Geordie Gal

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2013, 13:23 »
First proper visit to my plot this year.  Popped up last week to dig some leeks for tea but didn't have time to stay.

Plot was very quiet, only a few plotholders doing a tidy up. A few good fires burning!!

Ground too solid to work so I cleaned out the shed. Decided to stop growing veg and stick to spider cultivation as it seems to have been the biggest success on the plot this year. Spiders were nearly the size of my 12 year old - you should have heard her scream😱

Cleaned the greenhouse glass outside and in.  Brought pots and trays back home to wash as too cold to do it at the plot. Pruned brambles that are trying to visit from next door and made a to-do list for OH?

At home, onion seeds have germinated well - this is my first year of using seed rather than sets so we'll see how they go.

Lovely to get out in the fresh air.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2013, 13:56 »
I planted some rhubarb crowns today - a gift from a fellow allotmenteer which was nice. Cleared the space ready for my 3rd bed - which included plenty of fighting with Brambles and nettles (I won!) I started using the wood I broke up yesterday to edge this bed but by then I had been there form2 hours and my hands were too cold to function properly so I gave up.

Last night I also ordered all my seeds and seed potatoes so looking forward to them arriving!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2013, 15:01 »
Visited the plot but it's still too wet to dig  :(
Furtled around in the shed to make it a bit tidier, threw some prunings over the Globe Artichokes, picked some veg for today. Then a few flakes of snow started falling so I came home for a nice hot cuppa  :)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2013, 15:10 »
Spread some "muck" on this years potato bed, and then started to realise what a job we have ahead of us. (our disastrous 1/2 plot neighbours finally gave up their side of the plot, meaning we can expand, but they have left it in a right old state)!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Jim the builder

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2013, 15:17 »
Just had a weekend muck spreading and getting my bean beds ready (got the manure in trenches as i'm giving my bean frame a rest this year!!!!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2013, 15:28 »
Much to my shame......not a thing.

I slept solidly through the morning.... a whole morning off.  :blush:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 20:41 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2013, 16:41 »
Not been down to the allotment but I had my seed potatoes at home ready to chit. Have got them in seed trays now in my back room which is cooler than the rest of the house. Garlic now planted in seed trays too but they are out on the greenhouse
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 38 queries.