Hatching on Monday

• 125 Replies

pepsi100

Re: Hatching on Monday
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 23:33 »
I doubt it, they were off like mini exocets, but they are all around the temples with these cages of little birds, they look like a finch, but in colour of a sparrow

I suppose its a way of making a living, and the birds get let lose at some point, I bet they are like carp, they all have names  ;)

Anyway, these 2 are pecking each others toes, and moving the wood shavings about, then they flop down again

(nothing from the remaining 3 though) :blush:
It's all about the journey, not the destination

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2012, 07:07 »
Your better off removing the shavings and just using kitchen roll as they can eat the shavings. Also they poop a lot!
Sounds like they are doing well
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

pepsi100

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2012, 10:50 »
I think one of the chicks has a problem with its legs, they are splayed out, looks like the problem is with its hips (do chicks have hips?) It just sits there with its legs splayed out

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33 »
If you tie the legs an inch to 2 inches apart using a plaster or something similar then this will allow them to mend. Make sure they dont have slippery surfaces to walk on, a tea towel will be fine. Newspaper is too slippery for chicks.

http://raisingourchickens.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/splayed-leg-chicken-and-how-to-fix-it.html

pepsi100

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 11:41 »
If you tie the legs an inch to 2 inches apart using a plaster or something similar then this will allow them to mend. Make sure they dont have slippery surfaces to walk on, a tea towel will be fine. Newspaper is too slippery for chicks.

http://raisingourchickens.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/splayed-leg-chicken-and-how-to-fix-it.html

How on earth do I put a plaster on a chicks legs ?

Would an elastic band be better ? (getting it on or off, a plaster hurts when I pull them off me and its going to pick up all kinds of stuff)

I have a couple of very thin one's, I can twist them so they have a loop at each end

How does the chick move around with this on its legs ?

What causes this ?

I have put a tea towel in there (the wife dont know yet  ;))

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46 »
splay (also known as spraddle) leg is very easy to rectify. There are several ways to do this but here is a very simple method  :)
Another method of how to make and use a hobble. Use a very small elastic band and a piece of straw. Pop the straw over the band leaving a loop at each end - pop a foot through the loops at each end then over a few days try removing the hobble if there is still a problem trim the straw down a little to pull the legs in a little bit more.
Staffies are softer than you think.

pepsi100

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2012, 12:02 »
I made a hobble from a straw and an elastic band, easy to fit, staggering around like a drunk now, but rather than just sitting there all splayed out (it didnt look very comfortable)

If I am carefull with the scissors I can shorten the straw and put another knot in the elastc, if thats needed, but I am hoping its okay

THANKS for that link  ;), hopefully I saw it in time and no lasting harm has happened :unsure:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2012, 12:12 »
Well done, that looks fab. Ive never had to do this to any chicks yet but have heard about it. Hope he/she makes a good recovery.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16 »
another thing you may want to do is check for pasty bum - remove any dried on pooh from it's bottom as it can block the exit and over time kill the chick.

pepsi100

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2012, 12:19 »
Well done, that looks fab. Ive never had to do this to any chicks yet but have heard about it. Hope he/she makes a good recovery.

WHATCHA mean boy/girl? I was hoping you would have sexed it with a shot like that    ;) :) :) :) :) :)

splash101

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2012, 13:33 »
wow, that looks so much better than using bits of plasters and they dont get a leg wax thrown in for good measure.
they should recover quite quickly and its so much better them being mobile, if only a shuffle.

:blink:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2012, 18:36 »
I have had to use a plaster splint before on my Light Sussex x Partridge Wyandotte bantam chick.  He is perfect now. 

Your splint does look a little loose so if you can adjust it a bit it would be better.  As Joyfull says look out for pasty bum.  Keep it clean by smearing vasoline so that the poo doesn't stick to the feathers and block its bum.  :blink:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2012, 19:27 »
Yes, you are right, I put another knot in the elstic band (he/she escaped from the hobble)

Gave he/her bum a wipe as well, I havent seen em take a drink yet, or peck at the food, I put a drop of water on a toothpick and gave that to them, I guess they know when they are dehydrated  :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2012, 20:25 »
Best not take a chance.  You can use the toothpick to peck at the food and water and they should copy.   :blink:

pepsi100

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2012, 21:14 »
I have scattered some chick crumbs around, just used a toothpick for drops of water, and dipped their beak in the water pot, they seem to swallow water, but havent seen them with food

But they are just over a day or so old

xx
campsea ashe on monday

Started by babe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:37
by babe
xx
Ducklings were due Monday and still no sign!!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 20:41
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Awful monday!!! New coop needed!!!

Started by shellroberts on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 16:31
by shellroberts
xx
When is hatching day?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 15:04
by poppies

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 38 queries.