Hatching on Monday

• 125 Replies

pepsi100

Re: Hatching on Monday
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 19:25 »
Nope, no kids here, just me and the wife and she wouldnt turn it off, most times she doesnt even go in the spare room
It's all about the journey, not the destination

splash101

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 19:31 »
next time the lid is off (dont keep taking the lid off though) hold an egg next to you ear and tap gently, you maybe able to hear them tap back or cheeping even.

Earlier this year i'd hatched some quails (they hatch from day 17 onwards) they can take quite a while to hatch and i switched the incubator off a few days later. As i was engrossed in the olympics i hadnt emptied the incubator as i normally would.
on day 24, something caught my eye in the incubator (which had been switched off for over 24 hours) and it was a quail hatching. What a miracle! Sometimes Mother Nature has a way of reminding us who is in charge.

pepsi100

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 19:36 »
I would normally check the humidity at midnight, before I go to bed, I'll do it then, again when I get up, bout 6ish, but I do think something would be showing now, I have just let the humidity stand now, havent worried about it staying so high, but may be too late now  >:(

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 19:50 »
pepsi,
i would wait untill weekend.keep temp 37.5 C and humudity %65-70
dont open the incubator at all.if anything ll not change then you have to try again.
have you ever use this incubator for hatching before?maybe something wrong with incubator
hope its not too late.all the best
good luck

pepsi100

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 19:57 »
pepsi,
i would wait untill weekend.keep temp 37.5 C and humudity %65-70
dont open the incubator at all.if anything ll not change then you have to try again.
have you ever use this incubator for hatching before?maybe something wrong with incubator
hope its not too late.all the best
good luck

Yes used it before 2 years ago, its fine

I read up on that link I was sent, wow, its in depth, but a lot I didnt really understand

Only thing I did do different this time was use a small sponge instead of a pot of water for humidity, each time I turned the eggs I soaked the sponge in warm water, but as I say the incubator wasnt opened longer than 2 minutes, or how ever long it takes to turn 6 eggs

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 22:52 »
Don't give up yet, my quail was 4 days after due date and it would have hatched the next day if I hadn't interfered.  All turned out well but I will leave well alone next time.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=98732.0
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 00:23 »
No change, humidity has dropped to 55% so thats about all the news there is  :(

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32 »
I don't think it is anything you did, my incubator dies on day 17 or 19 so I had to keep it going by using a heat mat and after a lot of messing about with the humidity it did hatch, the incubator was off for a good few hours before I noticed it had broke.

Will you open the eggs before discarding? I did and just like you they felt heavy with a dark mass but there was nothing in the eggs. Maybe they were just a dud batch?
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

pepsi100

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 11:00 »
I don't think it is anything you did, my incubator dies on day 17 or 19 so I had to keep it going by using a heat mat and after a lot of messing about with the humidity it did hatch, the incubator was off for a good few hours before I noticed it had broke.

Will you open the eggs before discarding? I did and just like you they felt heavy with a dark mass but there was nothing in the eggs. Maybe they were just a dud batch?

I will be opening them, not exactly sure when though, just to see what has developed

Checked again this morning, nothing, the humidy is still 50% or there about

Sassy

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 09:05 »
There could be any number of reasons why they have not hatched and many of them may not be down to you. It is not the best time of year for fertility for eggs, you don't know if anything happened to them in the post (reports on here for posted hatching eggs are not good), you don't know how reliable/knowledgeable your supplier is - it is a good racket for some providing hatching eggs, there are too many variables for them to be held accountable!

Chalk it up to experience. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 09:20 »
I havent even gone near the incubator since I last posted,

I got a message in my inbox telling me I had a reply to this topic, so I let that open up and opened up the incubator

There is 2 chicks in there, they are the saddest looking chicks I have ever seen, there is shell everywhere, not the usual 2 halves, but bits all over the place, looks like one expolded from its shell  :dry:

No idea how old they are, but at least there is 2 of them, so maybe I should give the other 3 a bit longer than tomorrow  :blink:

they wil probably turn out cock birds the way things are going  :ohmy:

PaulineM

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 13:04 »
I have been following this post and I'm so glad that you have hatched a couple of chicks  :)
You will have to get them water and food now as I'm sure you are well aware, how many have you still to hatch?
Keep us posted and good luck  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 13:19 »
I am happy that you got 2 chicks :blink:

pepsi100

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 13:38 »
3 more to go, but I am not optimistic with them (but I wasnt with the others either)

Oh well 2 is better than none

I had food and feeders, brooder  already for them when they hatched out, I just turned the brooder off when nothing happened

Never seen so much shell from one egg or such scruffy looking chicks (I think they exploded from their eggs  :unsure: )

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 13:58 »
Congrats Pepsi :) It was certainly worth holding out that bit longer. How many eggs did you put in the incubator in total? Also what breed are they?

xx
Ducklings were due Monday and still no sign!!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 20:41
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
campsea ashe on monday

Started by babe on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:37
by babe
xx
Awful monday!!! New coop needed!!!

Started by shellroberts on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 16:31
by shellroberts
xx
Hatching help :)

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 21:08
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 29 queries.