Help identifying rescue hens

• 13 Replies

jeanrdow

Help identifying rescue hens
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:33 »
Hi, i wondered if you could help.  I recently rescued two hens from the SSPCA that had been left tied up in a cardboard box.  They thought they were rhode island reds mixed with something else because they have incredibly long legs.  Does anyone have any idea what breed they could be.  Also, does anyone think they could be cockerals.  They were sparring this morning but i understand hens can do this too.  I don't have any cockerals at the moment so am not too familiar with the differences.  They do not have spurs as far as I can see - but i don't know what age they are.  Any help would be appreciated.
cockeral.jpg

helens-hens

Re: Help identifying rescue hens
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 13:53 »
Hi there

Good on you for taking them on, I just can't believe what some people do to animals  :ohmy:

They do look like a Rhode Island Red cross. Game breeds like Old English Game tend to have long legs. Hopefully somebody with more experience of these birds may be able to help there.

In the picture the bird furthest away looks like it may possibly be a cockerel to me as its comb & wattles are larger - it is difficult to be sure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 13:55 by helens-hens »
Helen

jeanrdow

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 14:02 »
thank you so much for your input.  Poor birds had their legs tied together, then the two birds tied together, put into a cardboard box and dumped.  Terrible.  They are absolutely beautiful but i suppose i'm a bit nervous if both of the are cocks.  I'm sure i'll cope though.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 14:14 »
I think the one in the fore ground is a cockerel  :(
Ive just looked at some of my pictures of our rhode island red cockerals  (im only basing my theory on the feathers)
Not sure about the one at the back, think also a cockerel though

Agree with HH regarding those long legs.

On the plus side, mine didnt start crowing until 9 months old, i dont think yours are as old as that.
I had one whose comb and wattle was much smaller, and behaviour wise we were sure it was a hen ....... until it started crowing.

jeanrdow

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 14:16 »
i actually don't mind the crowing - we live rurally so it won't disturb anyone - just a bit nervous about them getting on.  Hadn't planned on getting any cocks, ive got ten ladies.  As long as they get on then we will be fine - i just hear tales of fighting so i'm just a bit nervous. I'm sure they will be fine.  They are beautiful birds, their feathers are stunning and such a beautiful colour. 

Beano

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 15:27 »
The tail feathers on the nearest one are very cockerel like. It looks as if they were dumped because they are cockerels (shamefull) and the way they were tied up! I'm surprised they didn't kill each other. Beautiful looking birds. Good for you for giving them a home!
El.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 15:46 »
They do look like cockerals to me too, especially the one at the back.  If you have 10 ladies that's good, but the boys may fight for supremacy. 

If they are boys, is there anyway you could have 2 separate flocks?  They have 5 girls each??   :)

Terrible way to dump though poor things!  >:(

jeanrdow

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:18 »
i don't think it would be possible to split my garden in that way, but its hopefully big enough to allow them all to get away from each other if necessary.  I suppose its wait and see now - i'll be listening for cockadoodledooing

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 16:22 »
I am sorry to say they look like cocks to me too. I had a rhode island red cock and they do look a lot like him. I wasn't able to keep him though as he and his brother fought and also attacked me.

Bev

splash101

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 16:47 »
Bev, mine wernt too friendly either. Because im only short they used to peck my thighs and i'd be covered in lots of little bruises.
I know they were only protecting whats theirs but they were little thugs, tasty though.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 17:01 »
My Rhodey cockerels were okay!  It was the appenzeller that was a little monster!   :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 17:07 »
the only cockerel I have had that was nasty was my little Barbu D'uccle bantam but as he was only a few inches high you couldn't help but laugh  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 18:24 »
Have you tried holding a piece of card behind the neck feathers. pointed for cockerel and rounded for hen

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 19:18 »
My RIR cockerel was very aggressive, I asked a friend to come and cull him and without even telling him what breed it was he guessed it was a RIR apparently they're well known for it.

xx
rescue hens

Started by pipes on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 14:24
by hillfooter
xx
Rescue Hens

Started by Viv on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 07:44
by slowef
xx
Red mite treatment on rescue hens?

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2015, 13:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Help identifying a bug?!

Started by allstars_princess on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 21:00
by marygall

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 29 queries.