About seven cherries!

• 10 Replies

Kleftiwallah

About seven cherries!
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:44 »

Planted a cherry bush about three years ago, I should be getting more than 7 cherries by now shouldn't I?   ???    If it is any help, I'm training it as an espalier.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

simonwatson

Re: About seven cherries!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:47 »
What rootstock is it on? What type is it, self fertile or self sterile?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 13:52 »

Thanks for the quick reply Simon.

Cherry Sunburst Colt Maiden B/root.

" Desert cherry - Very large near black fruit, self fertile.  Similar to Stella in growth.  Tree height when mature, 4 - 5 metres".

There y'go straight off the label.      If I remember it may be on Gizzelle rootstock.

Cheers,    Tony.

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 17:44 »
hi tony i have a cherry tree and its about 5 years old, last year was the first year it produced fruit - but only a handfull, whereas this year its got hundreds on! and when i read up on cherries as i was getting worried about mine - it says they start to produce fruit from years 4 and 5

so i think your cherry tree is perfectly normal  ;)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 17:57 »
We'll have to drink our duty free Asbach for a couple of years yet before we get to make cherry brandy.  The espalier is forming nicely.

:blink:

Cheers,    Tony.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 19:35 »
Pretty well all sweet cherry trees need a sour cherry tree in the area that flowers at the same time for pollination. Sours can self-pollinate, but sweets rarely do. Sounds like you 7 cherries had a touch of success but not enough.

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 14:49 »
Height when mature of 4-5 metres suggests a semi vigorous rootstock to me. It might still be a year or two before you get a good flowering and crop.

irot

• Oishi Bakery
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 18:36 »
I planted a Morello cherry tree last year, and it's full of fruit right now (although the leaves are a little yellow and droopy - lack of water?).  Next door neighbour said his cherry tree has never done too well, but it seems to be now, probably as a result of my cherry tree.  So I think you really do need another tree, even if it's supposedly self-fertile. 

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:27 »
As I said earlier, sweet cherries, regardless of the claims, are not really self fertile and never have been. No idea why, but that's how it is. The presence of a sour cherry nearby will really benefit any sweets in the area.

simonwatson

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56 »
Does it need to be a sour cherry, or will another sweet cherry do the job? I planted a collection of three sweet cherries (all suitable pollination partners for each other) in the winter. If I need a sour cherry as well I'll need to find some space for it.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 14:31 »
I had some sweet cherry trees that flowered before my sour cherry tree did and the crops were very poor. I bought another (dwarf) sour cherry variety that flowered around the same time as the sweets and I finally started getting good crops.

So yes, a sour cherry in the area is a good investment. Just make it a dwarf and it will do the job. Tell your seller what your sweet varieties are so he/she can match the flowering time of the sour with what you have since varieties tend to flower at different times.

The sour tree won't be a waste. You can freeze the pitted berries and use them for crumbles, pie fillings, cakes, etc. They're great for baking.

xx
If they look like cherries does that mean they are cherries?

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 23:42
by Salmo
xx
Cherries

Started by Andymack on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2006, 12:52
by yewtreemob
xx
cherries

Started by ruby400 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:20
by Trillium
xx
Morello Cherries

Started by elysee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 06:40
by elysee

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 32 queries.