foxes

• 8 Replies

ollies mom

foxes
« on: October 05, 2008, 22:04 »
I knew when we started keeping hens i would probably have a fatality to  ------ fox but when hubby went to close gate to their secure area and found the feathers of my favorite buff orpington i can only say I have sobbed my heart out he had followed me all round garden yesterday checking each hole dug for my wallflowers and pansys to see if he could remove any worms or beetles for me before the planting plants possibly so there would be more plant left for him to eat how will the others manage he really was a character leader of the pack am I NUTS to be gutted and in bits for losing my little friend who never failed to make me smile, believe it or not only had them all since june have become totally besotted by them all

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
foxes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 22:12 »
sorry to hear that. No of course your not nuts to feel that way. It shows that you care about your livestock.

Right from the start i have forced myself to be as detached as possible from mine while still keeping their welfare at heart, yet i still call them my lovelly girlies, sweethearts etc, and got all tearful cuddling the sick one today (especially when she laid her head against me). But i know that ultimately it will be me who has to deal with losing any, or having to cull any.

Importantly, you should now make sure everywhere is secure as it can be for them, and try to find out how the fox got to them. Use your sadness to drive your determination
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

compostqueen

foxes
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 22:15 »
oh I'm really sorry to hear about your hen  :(   They are such characters and it's only natural to feel so upset.  I know I would and I've only had mine since April but I'm very fond of them  :(

Foxy

foxes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 23:03 »
Oh how very sad, you must feel awful, our chooks have such wonderful characters!
My only advise is be extra vigilant now, once a fox has visted he is likely to try again.
Loads of help and support here for you, just ask!

Welcome to the forum by the way! :lol:

agapanthus

foxes
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 23:15 »
Of course you're not nuts!!! What's nutty about loving???
Welcome by the way! :)

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
foxes
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 05:31 »
I too am sorry for your loss. If you need ideas to help keep them away just ask, the members here are very willing to help.

ollies mom

Foxes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:05 »
Thanks for all comments and support I have been to check on girls and take them their breakfast all are ok, We keep them in a compound 25 x 40 feet with 6 foot fencing topped with 3 strands of electric fencing.When we are home we like to let them free range over garden they love bug hunting especially under apple tree and rose bushes, they make their way to house and compound and we go and give them some supper and shut gate to compound hen house has automatic pop hole sods law we got way laid talking to visitors, we will certainly be extra vigilant in future.

raeburg

foxes
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:59 »
That's sad news.  I'm planning new fencing today,trying to make it as fox proof as possible, but they are determine sods.  One of my neighbours lost half her hens a couple of months ago.  Glad that the rest are not too traumatised by the incident.

T C

• Experienced Member
foxes
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56 »
When we lived in the UK we had A barbers shop, we used to a couple of old country folk come and ask for hair, they spread it aound the boundrys to keep away foxes, they said it woked, the foxes could smell humans on the hair, i wouldnt want to rely on it entirely, but we also had a gamekeeper who wanted hair to put around young trees to stop deer from eating them, there must be something in it for so many folk wanting hair, as you may have guessed our shop was in a country village. TC
T C TOP CAT

xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
foxes

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 09:09
by Foxy
xx
F***** foxes

Started by snozzer on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 22:20
by Aunt Sally
xx
Foxes

Started by mary on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 14:31
by muntjac

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 28 queries.