Hello and mushroom compost / manure

• 11 Replies

Chris C

Hello and mushroom compost / manure
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:01 »
Hi All
Just a quick hello from a new allotment tenant, its the first time we have had a n allotment so im geussing theres going to be quite a few questions asked although having visited the site and read a few threads some of my very novice questions havealready been answeared.
W ehave taken over a 187 sq meter plot that did look like a jungle but after 4 hrs with a heavy duty petrol strimmer its looking a bit better. The shed, compost bin and leaf mulch bin are in place and we have started digging the plot over ready for next spring.
I have a quick question to start with ! The plot has not had anything done to it or grown on it for several years and I have been offered a good quantity of Mushroom Compost for free would this be of any benefit to my plot or after digging it over am i better of just giving it a good covering with horse manure befoe digging over again ?

Thanks Chris

Chris C

Mushroom Compost
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 15:35 »
Hi All
I have been offered a fairly large amount of mushroom compost for my plot, im new to all this and only just got my plot so im still busy clearing and weeding it.
The plot has had nothing grown on or done to it for several years and my inytention was to dig out seperate beds to suit my needs an give the a good covering of horse manure before digging them over again.
So  back to my original question is mushroom compost suitable instead of manure or should i use it as well as or not at all ?

Thanks Chris

viettaclark

Re: Mushroom Compost
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 16:35 »
I use "blended horse manure" which is a posh way of saying mushroom compost. I've found it's really good for my acid soil because there's quite a bit of lime in it. Because it's been used for mushrooms it's well rotted and easy to use, but there are  not so many nutrients in it. I use it as a soil conditioner and mulch and bung in compost and fish blood and bone for fertilising. Becuse of the lime my brassicas love it!
Lucky you to have a handy (and cheap?) supply!!! I get mine from Garden Clever and with delivery it's about £70 m3!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Hello fron East Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 17:13 »
Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you've made a good start already on your new plot  :)

With regard to the manure I'd make sure there has been no contamination of any kind that could transfer to your soil.... some people have found out the hard way that this is the case, so be careful.

Mushroom compost is useful stuff IMHO  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello and mushroom compost / manure
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 17:26 »
Chris, welcome to the forum  :D

I've merged your two threads as they are essentially asking the same question and it's easier to have only thread running at a time  :)

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum for proper hello's if you want  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Chris C

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 17:39 »
Thanks Yorkie
I may get the hang of this internet forum lark one day lol

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 18:28 »
 :lol:

Just glad you found the merged thread, phew!

Chris C

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 19:01 »
Ok thanks for the replys....i will ask the producer what the compost has been treated with and take it from there, i geuss the best out come would be the mushrooms have been grown organic which should mean the compost is perfect ???
I will keep you informed .

Chris

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 19:32 »
Hello and welcome!  Congrats on your new allotment.  I've personally had good luck with mushroom compost in the past.  It's very nutrient rich.  Best see what the source says about chemical pesticides/fertilizers, etc. I suppose.

:)
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 19:41 »
Remember that mushroom compost is alkali and might not be a good idea if you already have enough  ::)

RichardA

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 20:15 »
because of the lime content peas and beans and brassicas love it but do NOT use with potatoes. I also find new small seeds (such as salad stuff) do not germinate well in recently applied mushroom compost so I only would use where plants will be set out if you can. It is an excellent conditioner for soils but dont go overboard if pH already on teh limey side. Fresh manure has its problems as well as it can be very strong, can burn plants and will lead soil to be more acidic.
R

Chris C

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 22:24 »
Spoke to the guy who has the mushroom compost and he assures me it has had no pesticides or fertilizers on it, so looking good for parts of my plot, thanks for the advice so far i will make sure non of it goes into the beds im diffing out for spuds.

Chris

xx
Stable manure or mushroom compost

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 09:37
by simonwatson
xx
Manure or mushroom compost for courgettes

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 18:18
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Farm yard manure and mushroom compost

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 18:16
by nilly71
xx
fresh manure / mushroom compost, is it any good??

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 03, 2008, 21:42
by jsmzxc

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 28 queries.