oh my aching back

• 53 Replies

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
oh my aching back
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 14:35 »
long time since any one has called me an imp!! likkle or other wise!! most round here wouldn't know what you are talking about!! :lol:

muntjac

oh my aching back
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 14:37 »
ahhh well us lincolnshire yellow bellies has to stick together :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

oh my aching back
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 23:44 »
Impressive for all that nail-less hand digging. But why so much? Do you um.. 'share' with others, or is it all for you? Or is there a family of 25 at home?

frazzy

oh my aching back
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 08:26 »
lol its for  those eastern europeans pmsl he has to feed them some how a shaun :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

mixdiver

oh my aching back
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 12:16 »
Well done! how many spades did you wear out digging that field?

MD
Digging away to keep the weight down!

wellingtons

For some reason ...
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 13:43 »
... digging doesn't kill my back, it's my legs that ache.  I did loads yesterday and I am hobbling today.  Am supposed to be going to the gym later, but wondering if my legs can hack it ...  :?

Trillium

Re: For some reason ...
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 01:33 »
I get sore arches from digging despite wearing good strong shoes. I've just ordered a special shovel attachment made of plastic. It slips over the handle and down to the top of the metal part. At the back there's an actual step you use instead of the rounded shovel shoulder to step down on. It's supposed to ease foot/leg cramps when spading. Too bad it doesn't help with some sore backs. Usually after a week or 2 of digging, I'm back in shape again - the terror of the garden worms.  :lol:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
oh my aching back
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 06:21 »
l step you use instead of the rounded shovel shoulder to step down on

Are you trying to dig with a shovel? If so, you deserve backache. Dig with a spade, use it properly and without any added marketing gizmos. Do not attempt to dig beyond your body's capacity. If delicate hands are getting blisters, use gloves. Rub some sandpaper over the tool shaft to hake sure it is free from splinters or other roughness and make sure the rivits are hammered flush and smoothed over.

muntjac

oh my aching back
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 10:15 »
oil a wooden shaft with good quality teak oil n let it dry properly and then rub it down with fine grade sandpaper as eristic says , keep it oiled and clean dont lift more than the spit each time cut with precision . digging is an art and should be taught in my mind , a man could dig a 6ft grave with neat sides in 2 hours now its done by machine in the same time but without the reverence it deserves .

wellingtons

Eristic ...
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 10:36 »
... how do I stop my legs from aching tho?  My hands are fine, I wear soft leather gloves and my back is fine ... tis just my thighs ... or is that cos I'm a girlie ...  :lol:

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
oh my aching back
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2007, 11:16 »
Good Lord man, leave some for everyone else!

Do you do this full time? You must grow more veg than you could possibly eat - is it a semi-commercial operation?

Just curious, like.

And jealous - you could fit my garden (greenhouse, shed and all) on one of those beds!  :cry:
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Trillium

oh my aching back
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 16:07 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
Are you trying to dig with a shovel? If so, you deserve backache. Dig with a spade,

Actually, I do use a spade, just used the wrong word. However, my spades all have turned back tops on the metal part - including my high quality ones with oak handles. No tool maker in the world makes a sharp shouldered one. Think I just have a problem with my insteps. Learned years ago not to scoop up more than the spit size. This new step I'm buying is centered and you put your whole foot down on it. As for gloves, I have my kangaroo skin ones on before I walk out the door. They weren't overly expensive and well worth it when I handle rose thorns and pull out thistles with nary a prick. Sadly, they wear out in about a year from so much gardening, but they last twice as long as other gloves.  
Welly, give your legs a hot soak with lots of epsom salts, and that water is great when cooled and poured over the roses. I buy the magnesium (epsom salts) by the sack for garden use.

muntjac

oh my aching back
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 19:57 »
i can take up  a massaging course for all you ladies with sore bits if thats any help  :wink:

Trillium

oh my aching back
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 17:09 »
Still no takers on the massage course, eh Muntjac? Poor wee soul.  :lol:  I agree that the new machines digging graves don't have the reverence one might expect. But I'm still curious why you don't use a rotovator on those plots of yours. Doesn't it turn deep enough for you? Also, is that greenhouse in the 2 pix the 2nd freebie you got? Nice one. Wish I could score something like that. In Ontario, skip diving in retail areas is subject to prosecution (especially with the unsleeping evil eyes constantly on duty). Even our county dumps won't allow 'recycling', but the dump attendants seem to do okay.

milkman

oh my aching back
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 18:07 »
Why not be daring and just stop digging altogether?  the only digging i do these days is to harvest my spuds, parsnips (when I manage to grow any) and carrots.  Let the worms do the work.  I know MJ disagrees with me so no need to comment Munty  :wink:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

xx
Anyone Else Aching?

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 20:10
by Ivor Backache
xx
looking back!

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:09
by pawsnclaws
xx
Bad back

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 19:58
by compostqueen
xx
Back again

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 09:26
by stompy

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 31 queries.